Say goodbye to a million dollars

JoeJester

Joined Apr 26, 2005
I wonder if excessive speed was an issue?
The problems with cars that have speedometers that register high numbers is people like to "see if it will go that fast."

It would not surprise me that the car owner "exceeds the limit" driving. It wouldn't surprise me if that owner went out to west texas where they hold an annual 150 MPH drive on one of the roads out there. That road is closed and the vehicles are checked out prior to allowing them to go over 100 MPH.

tcmtech

Joined Nov 4, 2013
The problems with cars that have speedometers that register high numbers is people like to "see if it will go that fast."
But then why do so many POS vehicles have speedometers that read to 120 + yet they could not hit that falling off a cliff in high gear?

Then again why are there so many more that have speedometers that stop at 85 yet the vehicles can easily do 100 - 120+ MPH?

JoeJester

Joined Apr 26, 2005
When the speed limit was 55 hete in the u.s. the standard spedometer was less than 100. As the speed increased ... They got higher.

The economics of parts in the logistic pipeline plays a role.

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
But then why do so many POS vehicles have speedometers that read to 120 + yet they could not hit that falling off a cliff in high gear?
To reduce parts count. A simple dip switch or jumper will allow the same analog speedometer to read mph or kilometers/hr.

Then again why are there so many more that have speedometers that stop at 85 yet the vehicles can easily do 100 - 120+ MPH?
I don't know of any modern cars with speedos that stop at 85.

Last edited:

gerty

Joined Aug 30, 2007
I don't know of any modern cars with speedos that stop at 85.[/QUOTE said:
Some of the older Ford Explorers that our Sheriffs dept has only go up to 85 mph.. Yeah..cop cars that top out at 85 :)

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
No wonder >1/3 of lottery winners declare bankruptcy within 5 years of winning. Way to keep the economy rolling - Spend, baby, spend!
I don't think it is that high. A study that came out a couple years ago looking at this came up with about a 5% to 6% rate for winners in the $10,000 to $150,000 range and noted that it didn't seem to matter how much they won -- the larger winners just filed later in the five year period. The study didn't look at the huge multi-million dollar winners, probably because there aren't enough of them to get good statistics on.

About 1% of American household file bankruptcy each year, so roughly in five years it would be in that same 5% range. But you would sure think that winning any significant amount of money should significantly decrease your odds of filing bankruptcy within the next five year and this appears not to be the case. You definitely see behaviors in many winners that explains why they end up in trouble -- but of course you don't see the behavior of the overwhelming majority of winners who don't end up in trouble because, "Lottery winner manages winnings well," is not a compelling headline.

I tend to believe that people that play the Lottery are disproportionately people that do not know how to handle money well to begin with, and so they are predisposed to handling their winnings poorly should they ever win anything substantial.

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
Regardless of winning the lottery the more interesting questions is:

How many 20 somethings will take advantage of their 40-50 year time horizon to become "well-to-do"?

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
nsaspook Off-Topic 19
cmartinez Off-Topic 2
cmartinez Off-Topic 11
nsaspook Off-Topic 12
DerStrom8 Off-Topic 27