satilite internet coax splice

electronis whiz

Joined Jul 29, 2010
we have a splice in our coax cable between the satellite modem and the dish. this connection has ended up being the culprit in about 80% of the problems we have had. I have tried reversing it, covering with tape, cleaning the center conductor with fine sand paper. none of this seems to be helping. seems like something touches one of the cables or splice and it looses connection. figured just got loose or dog bumped it or got bumped while we were outside, today have issue go out and find a garder snake by it.
I can't think of anything else to try to fix this issue, special splicer too has pair of rubber gaskets that cover connections since outside. I'd replace it with just another coax splice, but not sure handle type of signal and I'd have to tape it up to seal it.
talking to one of my friends that's an electrician said those splices can be problems at frequencies like that.
I'm getting really frustrated always having to go out and fix that.

any suggestions to try to use existing connection and making work better or some sort of permanent way to just join the cables with no connectors? my guess is always have issue as long as splice there meaning have to replace the hole cable to get around that.

bountyhunter

Joined Sep 7, 2009
The video is good, but you probably won't want to drop the $50 to buy the strippers and crimpers it takes to do that. Be very careful to make sure to get a super good crimp on the outside (ground) case because a flaky ground connect is about 99.9% of the time what causes the problem.

Also, seal with the silicone weather grease and put the rubber sleeve (boot) on it.

Another option is to just replace the full cable run so it won't have a splice in it. You can get bulk RG-6 and do it yourself then the problem is gone. That's the best fix.

1000 ft of RG-6 cable is $42 here. You will have some extra, that's good because the cable needs to be replaced about every 7 - 10 years anyway.

http://www.cablesforless.com/RG6-Bulk-Cable-1000-Foot-Spool-Black-CCS-P6548.aspx

Last edited:

tracecom

Joined Apr 16, 2010
Also, seal with the silicone weather grease and put the rubber sleeve (boot) on it.
My experience with splicing coax is several years behind the times. When I was climbing towers and running coax, the only thing that would hold up in the weather was Coax-Seal. It was a bear to get off, but it kept the moisture out for years and years.

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
Depending on the age of your Coax and the severity of previous troubles, you may have moisture in the cable insulation. That can be a problem no matter how well you seal up the splice today.

electronis whiz

Joined Jul 29, 2010
thanks for tips. they have 2 F connectors going into barrel splice (2 female coax threaded ends) couldn't recall connector name earlier. I didn't know cable should be replaced every 5ish yrs. though. Hughes net put it in think summer 09 so about 4 yrs. had no issue with it until they put this splice in seems odd to me that is being so problematic do that with TV and almost never had issue, but some reason this is. I'm guessing frequency, or maybe the barrel is just bad. also I believe the feed horn is powered through the coax so that could be part of it too. too much resistance and loses power. Thought about replacing with TV type since got extra of those and wrapping in electrical or duct tape and seeing if that helps. have a hard time believing something simple like a barrel connector could be faulty, and had issue on first day few hrs. after installer left. I thought maybe it was the connectors on the cable too, but never had issue with dish on the cable so eliminates 2 connections. the other is on the dish and hasn't been an issue so narrows down to one connector and that looks fine.