SATA to eSATA Conversion

indianhits

Joined Jul 25, 2009
Hello guys i have a SATA HDD 3.5 inch for my Desktop now i want to connect this to my eSATA port of my laptop.

This will be used only for few occasions and not frequently.

So, what i plan to do is take power from my desktop smps(so power part is handled)and only connect the SATA data cable to my eSATA port of my laptop.(i know that i will need SATA to eSATA Cable for this :) )

Will this setup work or should i absolutely get the conversion kit???

Thanks :)http://forum.allaboutcircuits.com/editpost.php?do=editpost&p=583358

kubeek

Joined Sep 20, 2005
If you are sure the power supply is up to the job then you should have no problems doing it like this. Inside my desktop the eSATA cable goes into a standard sata port anyway.

kubeek

Joined Sep 20, 2005
Or he needs to use the same data on both computers and/or doesn´t have enough space on one of them. Assumptions are bad..

mcgyvr

Joined Oct 15, 2009
Or he needs to use the same data on both computers and/or doesn´t have enough space on one of them. Assumptions are bad..
both those problems are solved with my suggestions too.

Unless you mean he doesn't have an OS on the laptop and needs to actually remove a hard drive from another computer to even be able to use the laptop and again as such that would be a bad idea as swapping hard drives can cause hardware driver issues.

so I think my assumption/suggestions are still valid..

Dropbox is awesome in case anyone is wondering. I have it on my phone/laptop/tablet/work pc/home pc,etc.. Its SO easy to sync files plus they give you like 2.5G of space for free.

kubeek

Joined Sep 20, 2005
I use dropbox too, but it's 2.5GB is nothing compared to a puny 80GB harddrive. Also, how long does it take to sync 2.5GB of data from the internet?

indianhits

Joined Jul 25, 2009
@kubeek: so there will be no issues right?? i mean power can be connected to desktop SMPS and data can be plugged into ESATA port of my laptop.

guys thanks for the other answers :) but i want to know if this is possible or not... leaving apart minor issues like driver compatibility etc.

indianhits

Joined Jul 25, 2009
i have all the drivers with me so just want to know if it is safe or should i get some SATA kits like SATA enclosures etc...