Sanity check on resistor color code

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by Lundwall_Paul, Feb 21, 2012.

1. Lundwall_Paul

Thread Starter Member

Oct 18, 2011
    I recently purchased a axial lead resistor kit. Unfortunately none of the resistors are marked for the value. They do have the standard color code bands but I am somewhat color blind and verify using a DMM.
    I have one resistor in question. It has one band in the center which is black. The DMM that I am using is a standard two wire measurement. It reads 0.15 ohms. The leads connected together (no resistor) read 0.13 ohms. My best guess that this is a zero ohm resistor. I am just not familiar with that color code.
    I wish I could afford four wire ohm meter.
  2. Markd77

Sep 7, 2009
  3. BillB3857

Feb 28, 2009
    The next question that usually pops up concerning zero ohm resistors is, "WHY?" They work as jumpers to facilitate layout of printed circuit boards and are used instead of simple wire so that automated pick/place machines can populate the boards.
    DerStrom8 and zaw like this.
  4. ErnieM

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 24, 2011
    AFAIK zero ohm resistors date back to some early military spec that forbade the use of jumpers on a PC board for any and all reasons.

But of course resistors are OK and zero is a possible value.

Especically in SMD devices they make excellent devices to change configurations.