Sane Voltage

manjuarun

Joined Mar 8, 2010
can anybody pls describe 'sane voltage' to me..I didn't get a proper definition for this? What is its significance on opamp circuit?
Thanks
Manju

manjuarun

Joined Mar 8, 2010
t n k,

While analysing opamp circuits I heard this sane voltage term. I don't know what it means.But there are terms like sane phases,sane power supply etc.I didn't understand those terms even though I spent time to read regarding this.

Thanks
Manju

manjuarun

Joined Mar 8, 2010
Thanks Boo for your reply.
I don't even know what is insane boundary. What does it mean where from I get more details of this?

Manju

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
They are really talking about voltage levels that can be considered relatively safe.

For example, a bench power supply that can output +/-15v and +/-5v at one or two Amperes is relatively safe, and sane.

When you start getting over 50 Volts with several Amperes available, things can start to get dangerous. We don't discuss circuits on this board unless they are either battery powered, solar powered, or operate from mains power using an isolation transformer. Proper isolation from high-power circuits is a must.

Mike33

Joined Feb 4, 2005
Sane...now there is a time-tested, clinically-approved word! Ha ha!

Typically, "sane" would be lower than 30V-50V, and less than 1A. Given the factors that can decrease skin resistance (sweating, humidity, etc), you are getting into potentially lethal currents at around 30V. At that voltage (AC, 60Hz), 1mA (.001 Ampere) can be felt, 10mA can cause 'I can't let go' syndrome, and 50 to 100mA will be a deal-ender. D-E-A-D.

So its significance to YOU? Until you've gotten to where you have the safety bit nicely habituated, Sgt.Wookie's definition up there looks pretty darn good! After one has more experience, higher voltages and currents come 'within sane grasp', which really means NOT grasping it, if you know what I mean.

For the inverse, "Insane Voltage" would be something like 20,000 volts AC arcing between 2 electrodes, ha ha ha ha ha.

hgmjr

Joined Jan 28, 2005
can anybody pls describe 'sane voltage' to me..I didn't get a proper definition for this? What is its significance on opamp circuit?
Thanks
Manju
The phrase "sane voltage" is unfamiliar to me also. I don't suppose you could have mis-heard the speaker and in fact the phrase was actually the "same voltage". Such a phrase would likely come up when discussing the voltages at the plus and minus terminal of the opamp when it is connected in a negative feedback topology. Since the voltage at the negative and positive terminals would be at the "same voltage".

Your best bet may be to go back to the source of this term and ask them for a clarification.

hgmjr

retched

Joined Dec 5, 2009
I was thinking "SINE"

Sine phase (number of degrees in or out of phase)
and
Sine voltage (like peak-to-peak)

But then again,