Samsung 40" - Easy Fix

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by tom66, Sep 11, 2011.

1. tom66

Thread Starter Senior Member

May 9, 2009
    This particular range of Samsung TVs has a *very* common problem, and an easy fix. The problem is that the TV will not turn on or will only occasionally turn on. Often, a clicking sound is heard during this time, but not always - in my case it only clicked once but nothing happens. The clicking comes from a relay on the power supply.

The problem is two bad capacitors. Samwha XC series, or as I like to call them, crapacitors. Both are 2200u 10V. They appear to filter the 5V output. Luckily I have some Rubycon YXF's left over from my LG LCD repair, so I fitted those - it works :D.

The capacitors in mine were hideously domed, and were even leaking a bit of black liquid, which had caked on the top of the capacitor. It's a miracle it worked even occasionally.

It looks like the TV is less than 2 years old, and has not been used for a while, as the Freeview tuner has many old channels that have not existed for a while still stored.

I got it from the local tip for the sum of £25 and it cost next to nothing to repair.

Screw Samsung for making crap TVs. Don't get ripped off by Samsung!
  2. PackratKing

Jul 13, 2008
    Geez, Tom, sounds as though the newer run of teevees are rather straightforward to fix.. I had a similar situation to your Samdung :D and found the relay to be toast as a Vizio.........

by removing the relay to determine what pins did what, I jumped a better one in on wires, and solved the problem, and stuck the relay on the PCB with a good dollop of hot glue.
  3. tom66

Thread Starter Senior Member

May 9, 2009
    The relay seems to just control the power supply mode (probably PFC or slow-start) it wasn't the actual fault. The bad caps seem to cause cycling of the main board or power supply. Good to hear about your Vizio, from what I have heard they aren't much good either.