same ratio question.

Status
Not open for further replies.

OBW0549

Joined Mar 2, 2015
I'm not willing to bother explaining it to you because 1) you're 24 years old and should have learned how to solve trivial problems like this many, many years ago in school, 2) no matter how much effort I put into explaining it to you, you are very unlikely to understand it, and 3) even if by some miracle you ended up understanding the answer, you won't remember it tomorrow anyway, much less be able to apply the solution to other, similar problems in the future.

You aren't EVER going to make any progress, Ritesh, until you force yourself to figure things out on your own instead of constantly asking other people to spoon-feed you the solutions to trivial problems like this one.

Now go and figure it out YOURSELF!

R!f@@

Joined Apr 2, 2009
I'm not willing to bother explaining it to you because 1) you're 24 years old and should have learned how to solve trivial problems like this many, many years ago in school, 2) no matter how much effort I put into explaining it to you, you are very unlikely to understand it, and 3) even if by some miracle you ended up understanding the answer, you won't remember it tomorrow anyway, much less be able to apply the solution to other, similar problems in the future.

You aren't EVER going to make any progress, Ritesh, until you force yourself to figure things out on your own instead of constantly asking other people to spoon-feed you the solutions to trivial problems like this one.

Now go and figure it out YOURSELF!
WOW !

OBW0549

Joined Mar 2, 2015
I have no hope that it will do any good, though. I've made the case before, here and here, but to no avail.

If people REALLY want to help this guy, stop answering his questions. Otherwise, he will never develop the self-discipline needed to force himself to solve problems on his own.

In my view, the people who answer this fellow's questions are actively harming him, by reinforcing his bad habit of always turning to other people for answers instead of figuring things out himself.

recklessrog

Joined May 23, 2013
I wholeheartedly agree, I actually now believe the guy is taking the preverbial and yanking our chains. Despite Wendy's recent post, I sincerely think that the time has come to ignore anymore of that persons posts as it seems to be causing frustration and annoyance to some who seem to be honestly trying to help, their efforts are wasted. It is like answering a question followed by "why" Never ending!

Yes, I did think hard before posting this.

OBW0549

Joined Mar 2, 2015
I wholeheartedly agree, I actually now believe the guy is taking the preverbial and yanking our chains.
I can readily see how people come to that conclusion. After all, it is difficult-- EXTREMELY difficult-- to believe that a human being could actually be as utterly clueless as he presents himself to be, and for some the only plausible explanation is that he is trolling us. I don't believe he is deliberately trying to "yank our chains" to amuse himself by creating consternation, but I can certainly see how people could come to that conclusion.

Despite Wendy's recent post, I sincerely think that the time has come to ignore anymore of that persons posts as it seems to be causing frustration and annoyance to some who seem to be honestly trying to help, their efforts are wasted. It is like answering a question followed by "why" Never ending!
I think that is actually the source of most of the irritation: here at AAC we like to help people. It's what the board is for. When we help someone we do a service, and we get to feel a bit of satisfaction at the same time. And a major part of that satisfaction comes from seeing our help make a difference, in seeing the person we have assisted actually learn something.

But with this fellow, we get no such satisfaction because, just like a goose for whom every day is a brand new world, he never appears to learn anything-- he just trudges on, asking the same kind of trivial questions day after day after day no matter how much anyone tries to help him. My guess is that that is what most people find most vexing.

In any case, I agree that the best course is to ignore him completely. I manage to do it most of the time but once in a while (like in post #2) my frustration gets the better of me and I speak up.

recklessrog

Joined May 23, 2013
You are right, but you only have to see that in the last few days he has started different threads and not got anywhere with any of them. Look at the amount of time H.P spent trying to educate him, all to no avail even though it was laid out so clearly for him to follow, it did seem that either he is totally inept, of was deliberately forming the wrong conclusions. My opinion veers to the latter.
I like this forum because it does not assume any level of ability from any question posed, and I am very willing (as are the vast majority of members) to offer advice on any subject I feel that my particular expertise may be useful. If I don't know, I don't post. It is interesting learn from those who do.

OBW0549

Joined Mar 2, 2015
...it did seem that either he is totally inept, of was deliberately forming the wrong conclusions. My opinion veers to the latter.
Mine has too, from time to time. Others have remarked on that, as well. My view is that this "wrong conclusions" thing is probably part of his overall, habitual strategy for solving problems:

Step One: "What is the answer?" That probably works enough of the time that he finds it worth trying; when it doesn't work, there's:

Step Two: "How to solve for the answer?" Really the same question, just a little more work. When this fails:

Step Three: "<insert wrong answer here>" Often, this will provoke someone into giving him the right answer. When this doesn't work:

Step Four: Change the subject.

This pattern has played out again and again here. I doubt it's even conscious; more likely, it's a lifelong habit of behavior-- and one that will be extremely difficult to break.

Status
Not open for further replies.