Sail Boat Stories

loosewire

Joined Apr 25, 2008
We have a lot of sail boat people on the forum, I have few stories
but I was hoping some boat people would start posting.

nerdegutta

Joined Dec 15, 2009
During summertime, I spend as much time I can on this boat. Holidays and weekends.

The picture is taken from a long distance, with a Nokia cell phone.

Longest continuous stay I've had was 18 day/nights. Best vacation ever.

VoodooMojo

Joined Nov 28, 2009
During summertime, I spend as much time I can on this boat. Holidays and weekends.

The picture is taken from a long distance, with a Nokia cell phone.​

Longest continuous stay I've had was 18 day/nights. Best vacation ever.​
Jens,
where was the photo taken at?
what is the body of water?

loosewire

Joined Apr 25, 2008
Esp,esp,, Loosewire has esp. Does he bring the best out of the Forum
with his life experience.

Last edited:

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
I used to have a 17' Lightning when I was stationed at Dam Neck, Va. That was a lot of fun. Just avoid powerboats and water skiers.

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009

The picture is taken from a long distance, with a Nokia cell phone.

Longest continuous stay I've had was 18 day/nights. Best vacation ever.
Summer? Is that about 1 week in Norway? :)

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
I am a big sailor but got out of it recently. I had a boat for about 20years. It was about an hour drive north of here. At $3+ a gallon, it was getting hard to justify the drive, especially when you get there and there is no wind.

I have sailed charter boats in the British Virgin Islands for about 10 or so vacations. Also go to the Chesapeake Bay one or two times a year.

But my favorite place was the Sunsail resort on Antigua where you sailed dinghys. There is nothing like sailing a dinghy on the Caribbean, They had a pretty good line of boats. A very good safety program. They have patrols and monitored the speed of the wind. When the black flag went up, that meant experts only. That was some of the best sailing. Red flag meant everyone come in, either sailing over for the day or a storm was coming.

I think they still have a resort in Greece and a few other places. It is well worth checking out.

I got into bicycling in the past few years. I was getting heavy and needed a way to lose weight. I would watch some of the old dudes at the resort out sailing and wanted that to be me some day.

But now most of my vacations are taken up by bicycle touring. I have been to Italy 3 times. On this past trip we ducked into Switzerland and Austria for a few days. I have also bicycled from San Francisco to Santa Barbara.

nerdegutta

Joined Dec 15, 2009
Sounds nice.

I guess in good wind, the dinghy's gets high speed.

A friend of mine, was one time in the Seychelles, sailing. I got jealous when I heard.

I have a small Volvo Penta in the boat. Last year we used only 40 liters of diesel, considering the time we spent running motor, that's next to nothing. :)

Bicycling is good. Did it one summer a long time a go. Took the train to on station in the mountain, and cycled the way the old railroad builders used while building the railroad. It was quite a ride.

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
Sounds nice.

I guess in good wind, the dinghy's gets high speed.
Not to mention the waves. Lots of fun coming off some of them.

With the Lasers (high performance dinghy). If you get it just right, you can get them up on plane.

But probably some of the most fun I have seen was in Italy on Lake Como and Lake Garda. The wind comes down out of the mountains and goes roaring down the lake. Sadly I did not have a chance to go sailing. :(.

It was so windy the one day the ferries were not running. I got stuck in Riva Del Garda overnight. But there are worse places to get stuck I guess. :)

I have a small Volvo Penta in the boat. Last year we used only 40 liters of diesel, considering the time we spent running motor, that's next to nothing.
:)
I usually go through less than a gallon (4 liters) a season. Our lake is fairly small and I only had a 3 horse power outboard. But I rarely used it. I mostly sailed back into the slip.

Bicycling is good. Did it one summer a long time a go. Took the train to on station in the mountain, and cycled the way the old railroad builders used while building the railroad. It was quite a ride.
We have similar trails here is the states. They converted old railroad lines. I can get on a trail right near my home and go 400 miles (640km) to Washington, DC and only go on roads for a very short part of that distance. The last half of the trail is along an old canal where they transported goods by a barge pulled by a mule. It went from Washington DC to Cumberland Maryland.

nerdegutta

Joined Dec 15, 2009
Talk about windy and bad weather. Last year we had on evening/night were the lightening struck more than 10 000 times. Yes, ten thousand times.

That night, we were somewhere in the middle. :D

Looking forward to the summer vacation. 3 weeks at sea... :)

BTW: 9th of July 1930, my mother was born in Pittsburgh. :)

maxpower097

Joined Feb 20, 2009
No fun were the lightning capital of the world. My uncles been hit 3 times. We might be loosing that now because our climates changed so much the past 5 years. So hey, You may be number 1 now!