Safety hazard

Sensacell

Joined Jun 19, 2012
Yes- typical hazards include:
-rotating machinery
-dangerous voltages
-the whole thing breaks and falls on your head.
-you fall off the tower
-you get angry when you realize how little power the thing generates after spending all that money.

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
There are many hazards as noted, but if you are asking if it is dangerous to merely be near one while it is functioning properly, the answer is no. The danger is more from it falling down or flying apart.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
Hmmm...I thought birds were smart enough to avoid a huge object moving a lot slower than a bird can fly. I learn something almost every day on this site.

THE_RB

Joined Feb 11, 2008
Just read the other day, that 65 eagles; have been murdered by windmills.
Isn't that Darwinism at work? Helping the Eagle species by eliminating the stupidest members of the species?

I think the windmill:bird argument is a bit lame, I've seen birds killed or badly injured flying into cars, large buildings etc. None of the "greenies" seem too worried about that.

Birds are just stupid, it's the price they pay for having pectorals 100 times heavier than their brain. ;)

kubeek

Joined Sep 20, 2005
Hmmm...I thought birds were smart enough to avoid a huge object moving a lot slower than a bird can fly.
Well try avoiding a 30m long blade rotating at about 0.3 rev per second. The peripheral speed at the blade tip is so large that they really have trouble avoiding it.