safety device for automobiles in curves

Status
Not open for further replies.

albin.grg@gmail.com

Joined Aug 20, 2014
hi everyone,

i am a mechanical engineer, i got a project that needs some electronic devices and circuits, can anyone help me to design the circuit?

my project description is as follows,

1. While we drive an automobile we often experience skidding while taking curves at higher speeds, this may turn fatal to some fellow drivers, to avoid such over-speeding in curved roads i like to employ a transmitter a few distance away from the curve which transmits the max. safe speed of that curve ahead (circuit 1)

2. A receiver part inside the vehicle receives this signal

3. The data received is compared with actual speed of the vehicle, if the actual speed exceeds the design safe speed of the curve, an alert system with LED Display and a siren or vibrator works to notify the driver

4. if the driver is not reacted in time the brakes are applied automatically with EBS (electronic braking system)

5. as a part of its demonstration i have to build a line follower with freeduino 1.1. building a line follower is ok for myself but i donno how to interface it with the above circuits

please could help me with the above circuits 1 to 4 (any one of them alone is also considered to be great ) and tell me how to interfacing it with a line follower,

thank you in advance

Alec_t

Joined Sep 17, 2013
to avoid such over-speeding in curved roads i like to employ a transmitter a few distance away from the curve which transmits the max. safe speed of that curve ahead (circuit 1)
We have a simpler system in the UK....it's called a road sign :). This is in advance of the bend and warns of the maximum safe speed.

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
Two parallel magnet lines could be implanted in and perpendicular to the road bed. The time interval detected between sensing of the two strips gives an immediate indication of speed relative to the designer's target. The distance between the parallel lines would indicate the safe speed, so for instance if they were sensed 10ms apart, the car would be at the safe speed. There may be better ways to indicate the interval. Reflectors would work in the lab, if not in real life.

Modern cars have a computer that knows the speed, so that value is readily accessible. You need a computer that can control acceleration and braking, that can react to the difference between actual and target speed. That's usually the driver.

cork_ie

Joined Oct 8, 2011
ESP (Electronic stability control) does exactly what you are trying to design and is already fitted in nearly every modern European vehicle.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electronic_stability_control
The basics of the system is that the vehicle has a built in acceleration sensor which outputs lateral acceleration , longitudinal acceleration, and yaw rate -(turning force of the vehicle about an imaginary Z axis in the centre of the vehicle). All this information is placed on the CAN bus. When the vehicle exceeds the design paramteters or if skidding is detected, the ESP system takes control, the engine power is reduced as required and the brakes automatically applied diagonally via the ABS modulator to help straighten the vehicle.
Newer technology in 2010+ vehicles includes a further elaboration of the system called collision avoidance system which uses forward looking radar as an additional input.

Last edited:

tom_s

Joined Jun 27, 2014
We have a simpler system in the UK....it's called a road sign :). This is in advance of the bend and warns of the maximum safe speed.
no, that only works on the assumption that the driver of the vehicle is actually paying attention to the road conditions.

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
Something my wife always states: youth are eventually not going to drive their vehicles. Parallel parking is already threatened to become a lost skill. Collision avoidance, radar following, and other techno gadgets will eventually result in a car that drives us.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
The owners of All About Circuits has elected not to host discussions of automotive electrical system modifications/enhancements due to safety concerns, the potential of legal ramifications and the possible circumvention of vehicle regulations at the state and federal level.

This thread is against the AAC forum rules, Chapter 6, as seen here:

6. Restricted topics. The following topics are regularly raised however are considered “off-topic” at all times and will results in Your thread being closed without question:

• Any kind of over-unity devices and systems
  • Automotive modifications
  • Devices designed to electrocute or shock another person
  • LEDs to mains
  • Phone jammers
  • Rail guns and high-energy projectile devices
  • Transformer-less power supplies
This can be found in our Terms of Service (ToS)

Automotive modifications of any kind are strictly forbidden. Therefore, this thread will be closed.

Please try to understand the reasons behind this action, and feel free to browse and use the forums.

You might find answers to your questions in one of these forums:

http://forum.allaboutcircuits.com/showthread.php?t=54400

Another good forum that shares many of the same membership is http://www.electro-tech-online.com/ . Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.