S video black and white screen help

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by dazzer7, May 14, 2016.

1. dazzer7

Thread Starter New Member

May 7, 2016
    I have a super ~Nintendo console and I have noticed when using S-video the games play in black and white , Now I have come to the conclusion that the problem is on the board some where , Now when I do use S-video it shows a black and white picture this should mean there must be a Y luma signal that is working but the C chroma is not . I would like to know if anyone has any ideas of what it could be and maybe a fix >?

I also was thinking of trying this taking the C chroma signal from the (S-RGB A ) chip which on mine is called (S-EWC 92224 M60F) solder wire to pin 12 with 100nf Cap and 75 ohms resistor then solder this to the C chroma pin 8 on the multi AV out which in order to trying and bypass the problem , This is just a long shot what do you guys think I should do?>

2. wayneh

Expert

Sep 9, 2010
    I would first check the cables and pins carefully, interchanging sources and monitors to isolate where the problem is. It could be as mundane as a crushed pin in a connector or a faulty cable.

3. dazzer7

May 7, 2016
    Hi! Cable is working tried with another console I would also like to point out that AV is working just not s-video , I did check the pins too they looked ok.

4. wayneh

Expert

Sep 9, 2010
    Any idea if you can probe the chroma signal to find it on your board?

5. dazzer7

May 7, 2016
    I know where the C chroma signal is or should be just not sure how to test it.

6. Dodgydave

Distinguished Member

Jun 22, 2012
    You're going to need an Oscilloscope to view the signals.

7. AnalogKid

Distinguished Member

Aug 1, 2013
    Starting with pin 3 on the connector and working backwards through the circuit, you are looking for an amplitude modulated 3.58 MHz sinewave, about 0.5 Vpp for bright colors.

ak

8. Andrew Hodson

May 26, 2016
    Yeah, some TVs only show s-video in B&W. just do ½ the job.