RV type generator.

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by Pawlee, Aug 2, 2010.

1. Pawlee

Thread Starter New Member

Aug 2, 2010
    I have cheaper 850watt gmc generator I carry under my motor home
    as a back up power supply.
    It has outlet terminal to charge a battery.When I connect it to a battery
    it charges fine but I connected a digital meter and it showed the charging
    to be a wee bit unstable and I don't wish to damage my battery.
    Does anyone know please can I put something electronic between the generator and the battery to smooth out what goes into the battery
    thereby treating it nicely?:confused:
  2. tom66

May 9, 2009
    You can use a capacitor, which can help smooth out dips of voltage.

But, voltage fluctuations are not unusual for a battery charger, are you sure you could be damaging the battery?
  3. SgtWookie

Jul 17, 2007
    What do you mean by "a wee bit unstable"?

What voltage(s) are you reading?

What is the temperature of your battery (check via the + terminal), it's type and capacity? If you have the manufacturer and model number of the battery that would be great.
  4. Pawlee

Aug 2, 2010

Thanks for replying to me. The generator looked to me to be charging as good as it can for a 'cheapie'. Thats right dipping in voltage momentarily
    would describe what I read on my digital meter.
    No actually I am not sure I would be damaging the battery its just they are fairly new and the deep cycle ones as you will be aware are quite expensive so I am a wee bit paranoid and protective of them.
    Kind regards Paul.
  5. Pawlee

Aug 2, 2010
    Thanks for replying. My batteries are USA Endurant brand all fairly new,some are deep cycle.
    I think I had better return to the forum with the numbers written down
    that I viewed on my digital meter. To be fairer to you.
    I guess I have this unsubstantiated idea that a cheap brand
    850watt petrol powered generator will surely be bad for my batteries.
    I just thought that this generator would be handy to give my two
    vehicle batteries a charge to get me started in the unlikely event
    of flat batteries if I am away from home in my RV.:cool:
  6. marshallf3

Jul 26, 2010
    Totally common to see this, and a typical lead-acid battery is a better filter than a multi-farad capacitor would ever be. Also surprising is that the slight variations are actually beneficial in charging, they tend to help dislodge hydrogen bubbles from the plates.

I bring my motorcycle battery inside during the winter and when I'm occasionally topping off the charge I make it a point to rock/bump it back and forth several times during the process to dislodge the bubbles from the plates. This occurs naturally when in use on the vehicle but not on a stationary bench.

Some people swear by battery tenders that keep a tiny charge going at all times, personally I've had better luck with the occasional charge and an occasional 12V load left on it for a while to more closely simulate actual operation in the vehicle.