Running more than one signal down speaker lines...

MikeClegg

Joined Dec 16, 2014
Hey Everyone

I am looking for some ideas...
I have just built a new sound system at home, and I am wanting to add LEDs to the speakers, these will either change with the music or change as I set them from a master controller that changes all at once. The control of the LEDs I have sorted out.
What I want to do however is run the LEDs (and their subsequent control) through the same speaker cables that I already have.

I am thinking adding in some device at the back of the amplifier that puts in another signal (for example 100kHz) that the LED can be powered off. Similar to Cat5 over 110V lines.

I'm really not sure, but if anyone has any ideas I would be grateful.
The main objective is to not be using another set of cables for the speakers.

Cheers,
Mike

P.S. Please don't use abbreviations, as I'm new and it could throw me off!

Sensacell

Joined Jun 19, 2012
While what you are asking for is theoretically possible, it's a major design project that is not going to be worth the significant time, expense and effort.
Bite the bullet and run a few more wires.

sirch2

Joined Jan 21, 2013
I tend to agree with Sensacell, but would say that it depends on your skill level and how much you really want to do it over the speaker cable.

When you say you have the control of the LEDs sorted out, what do you mean, how is it implemented?

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
I think a bluetooth solution might be easier to implement. Transmitter at the A/V receiver, microprocessor at the receiver, speaker end interprets the control signal and alters LED behavior per your programming. But you'd need a separate power source.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
All this to avoid the cost of 2 wires???

You don't realize what you're asking for.

Just because you saw it, just because you want it, just because you imagined it, doesn't make it easy.