Running a 1/12 stepping motor with 1/16 stepping?

brik2k

Joined Nov 18, 2011
Hi guys,
I'm looking in to different ways to control a micro stepping motor that's commonly used in automotive dashboards. My goal is to come up with a simple circuit that receives commands via a CAN or LIN bus and then moves the stepper accordingly. It would be used in a remote gauge pod that would only require power and a communication line to the master mcu.

My problem is that most stepper drivers I come across operate with 1,1/2,1/4,1/8, and 1/16 stepping modes. The motors I would like to use work with 1/6 or 1/12 stepping. The manufacturers of the motors make driver circuits but none are easy to get a hold of.

I know I could use a programmable mcu to control the motor via digital IOs but I'd prefer not to have to program the hardware for each pod.

Is anyone aware of a way to allow me to run a 1/12 stepper motor on a 1/16 stepping driver? I've attached datasheets for the components I'd like to have work together.

Attachments

brik2k

Joined Nov 18, 2011
Thanks for the link. I'm working on finding a dealer that will sell small quantities. Unfortunately the drivers aren't something that can be purchased easily through Mouser or the like.

It's too bad that they designed the motor to do 1/12 instead of the more standard 1/16. Oh well.

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
If you develop a program for a PIC microcontroller, Microchip can burn the code into the PICs that you order; even serialize them, and have them set the code protect so it would be difficult to read the program back out.

You could also have the uC report its' serial number, so in case forgeries start popping up, you can figure out where the original came from.