running 24v from an arduino?

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by matelot, May 18, 2014.

1. matelot

Thread Starter New Member

Apr 15, 2013
    I am updating a monitor board (by building a new one) that consists of lots of LEDs (around 60).
    The board runs from a 24 volt circuit so all the LED's will have 1.2Kohm resistors in series.
    I want to be able to build a test unit to plug onto the board and run it with an arduino.
    The arduino works on 5v.

Even if I use a number of shift registers (I have enough experience of writing arduino software to drive shift registers) I will still need some way of increasing the output to 24v.
    Is it possible to do this with NPN's (I have plenty of C945's) or other NPN/PNPs (I have lots of old boards that are populated with various transistors)?
    Alternatively could I do it with FET's?

If not is there any other way I could do it in solid state? If I use relays I will have to buy them (more than 60) and the size of the test unit will be bigger than the board itself.
    I have experience of making printed circuit board and building small circuits.

I know I could run it from 5v and the LED's would show up dimly but I would like to build the circuit.

Thanks,
    Bob.

Expert

Nov 30, 2010
    This is easily done with bipolar or mosfets. These aren't "finished" to your specs, but this activity is so common that I have several drawings in stock.

absf likes this.
  3. enggricha

May 17, 2014
    if you have multiple signals Darlington arrays like ULN2008 are a faster and sometimes cheaper way of doing it.

4. matelot

Thread Starter New Member

Apr 15, 2013
    thank you #12 I will try those and let you know.

sometimes enggricha I am suprised how little people read before posting.

Code ( (Unknown Language)):
    1. Is it possible to do this with NPN's (I have plenty of C945's) or other NPN/PNPs (I have lots of old boards that are populated with various transistors)?

Expert

Nov 30, 2010
    enggricha was trying to tell you that you can get several transistor in a dip package. They take up a lot less space on the circuit board.

6. MaxHeadRoom

Expert

Jul 18, 2013
    I use them all the time, and the ULN2805 gives you one more! ;)
    Max.