running 230 V/50 Hz CLOCK in US?

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by pupster, Aug 25, 2013.

1. pupster

Thread Starter New Member

Aug 25, 2013
    I ordered a Philips HF3485 Wake Up Light w/ clock from Amazon.UK since it's sold out in the US. It runs on 230 V ~ 50 Hz. There's a fuse in the plug, and it's rated at 3 A, but I calculated the Amp based on the input voltage and wattage (100 W). It comes out to just under 0.45 A.

I'd like to use the light in the US where I live. I know that some clock mechanisms are very sensitive to the frequency (50 Hz vs. 60 Hz). So, I was wondering if this "project" would work.

1) Buy a 120 V 60 Hz AC to 12 V DC converter (car lighter socket)
    2) Buy a 12 V DC (car lighter plug) to 230 V/50 Hz inverter (modified sine wave, unless I find the clock needs a pure sine wave)
    3) connect the two of them

??

Will this work?

If so, what type of Amp ratings do I need for parts 1 and 2? I'll be sure that the inverter is rated for at least 300 W (3x the clock rating).

2. MaxHeadRoom

Expert

Jul 18, 2013
    Off the bat the mains frequency usually does not matter now, only if it has a synchronous motor in it.
    There is usually a 32.768Khz crystal the keeps the time.
    But if it is designed solely for 240v UK voltage it may not run at all on US 120v.
    You could try it in 120v and see what happens, if it has a (common) switching supply in it, it may run.
    Other wise you need 240vac.
    (Is it that exotic that you had to import one)?
    Max.

3. pupster

Thread Starter New Member

Aug 25, 2013
    Thanks. Yeah...I ordered a 300 Watt StepUp Transformer just in case. That will convert the voltage but not the frequency. I'm just hesitant to blow up this clock that I special ordered from the UK...had to pay for an international shipping company to forward the package to me, etc. And yeah...it's that exotic...:-/

They used to sell them in the US, but it's been discontinued, and the only place you can get them new is in the EU now. :-(

Is there a risk of blowing up the light if I plug a 230 V item into a 120 V socket?

4. MaxHeadRoom

Expert

Jul 18, 2013
    Without knowing the exact detail of the unit it is impossible to say, but an 'educated' guess I would think that if you plug it in to 120v, the worst than can happen is it just won't work?
    If you were doing the reverse, it would be another story.
    Max.