run the spindle motor

jayanthyk192

Joined Jan 23, 2010
hey....i am in need of a circuit(external) to run the spindle motor of an old hard drive using a battery.please suggest me a circuit

BMorse

Joined Sep 26, 2009
hey....i am in need of a circuit(external) to run the spindle motor of an old hard drive using a battery.please suggest me a circuit

In order for it to spin, you will need to provide the drive with +5 and +12 volts DC... given the hard drive still works....

jayanthyk192

Joined Jan 23, 2010
i actually want the motor for one of my projects & it is necessery that i run with a battery using a controller circuit.so plese suggest a circuit.

BMorse

Joined Sep 26, 2009
i actually want the motor for one of my projects & it is necessery that i run with a battery using a controller circuit.so plese suggest a circuit.

So you want to run a 12 volt motor off of batteries?? What type of batteries are you going to be using? Even with some D cell batteries, they would not last long running a 12 volt motor. And most of those motors are a 3 wire stepper type motor.... good luck controlling that with batteries..... I hope you have a backpack to carry all those batteries to run that small motor....:rolleyes:

jayanthyk192

Joined Jan 23, 2010
okay,if it requires 12V then i could power it with with an ac adapter I already have.but giving 5V as well as 12V at a time is pretty difficult as i dont have an SMPS,and moreover i dont get to control the speed of motor using the circuit board of the hard disk.so,i'm searching a circuit.

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
I think hard drive motors are BLDC's nowadays (Brushless DC motors) - they're actually run by 3-phase power.

See if you can read the part numbers from IC's near the motor connector. The motor connection harness will probably look like a ribbon with 4 wires/traces in it.

3ldon

Joined Jan 9, 2010
If you can manage taking the motor driver off the board, and you know it works, its easy.
none of them require more than a few pull up resistors, and bootstrap capacitor(s).
Most are only good to 3 watts.
I have found most to be controlled via a custom digital link, and the datasheets to be quite informative.

BMorse

Joined Sep 26, 2009
I don't know what kind of hard drives everybody uses, but most of them nowadays are 3 wire, and they can not just be connected to power, the control IC is a 100 Pin QFP....

HDD1.jpg

Hdd2.jpg

HDD3.jpg

HDD4.jpg

jayanthyk192

Joined Jan 23, 2010
I think hard drive motors are BLDC's nowadays (Brushless DC motors) - they're actually run by 3-phase power.

See if you can read the part numbers from IC's near the motor connector. The motor connection harness will probably look like a ribbon with 4 wires/traces in it.
i tried tracing the leads of the motor,but the circuit is multilayered and i could'nt trace the leads to the control IC as the leads are inbetween the two outer layers and not visible clearly.

BMorse

Joined Sep 26, 2009
the HDD i have has a four lead stepper.I also found it is a star connection.

Wow, so your hard drive IS old.... last time I seen a 4 wire one was back in 2000/2001!

I went through my Hard drive archives and did find a 4 wire one from 2001
HDD spindle2.jpg
.... but it will still require custom circuitry to control the motor, if you are going to be powering this off of batteries, I would suggest looking for an alternative to use.... If you could explain what it is you are trying to do, maybe someone can have a better understanding of your needs....

jayanthyk192

Joined Jan 23, 2010
Wow, so your hard drive IS old.... last time I seen a 4 wire one was back in 2000/2001!

I went through my Hard drive archives and did find a 4 wire one from 2001
View attachment 15917
.... but it will still require custom circuitry to control the motor, if you are going to be powering this off of batteries, I would suggest looking for an alternative to use.... If you could explain what it is you are trying to do, maybe someone can have a better understanding of your needs....
i was actually trying to build a hovercraft as the motor had very high rpm and very light & generates less heat.i got 2 batteries of an old toy aeroplane.together it gives 14.4V,which I thought could be decresed to 12V and used.

JDT

Joined Feb 12, 2009
These motors are sensorless brushless motors. They are either delta connected (3-wire) or star connected (4-wire)

What you need is an IC like the TDA5140A
http://www.nxp.com/documents/data_sheet/TDA5140A.pdf

Not sure where you will get one of these. Try Google.

Alternatively, it is possible to design your own using a microcontroller and drivers. Not an easy project though.

I have attached an interesting document from Microchip.

Attachments

kf2qd

Joined Feb 4, 2010
You might try looking at a low amperage Brushless motor controller used in Radio Control planes. Some of them are quite inexpensive, would just need to give it the pulses to tell it what speed to run.

jayanthyk192

Joined Jan 23, 2010
These motors are sensorless brushless motors. They are either delta connected (3-wire) or star connected (4-wire)

What you need is an IC like the TDA5140A
http://www.nxp.com/documents/data_sheet/TDA5140A.pdf

Not sure where you will get one of these. Try Google.

Alternatively, it is possible to design your own using a microcontroller and drivers. Not an easy project though.

I have attached an interesting document from Microchip.
even i searched for this IC on google and it has to be ordered in bulk starting from 300$.:(