rubber (conveyor belts) etching

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by mik3, Jul 31, 2008.

1. mik3

Thread Starter Senior Member

Feb 4, 2008
    hi guys

Do you know any good ways to etch (remove) rubber which is sticked on a soft surface and leave the surface intact?

Until now, i do this by hand using a special rubber grinder but i want to build a machine which will do it automatically.

2. jpanhalt

AAC Fanatic!

Jan 18, 2008
    I was lead here by the title word, etch. Some polymers can be etched non-mechanically to promote adhesive bonding. You need to know specifically what rubber you are dealing with. One of the easiest methods I have used is flame or plasma etching.

If the question is removal of a vulcanized rubber, like on conveyor belts and tires, I am only aware of mechanical methods.

John

3. mik3

Feb 4, 2008
    Thanks for the reply. I am dealing with conveyor belts. These type of belts have rubber on both sides and in the middle they have fabrics to be stronger. I want to remove the rubber from one side (about a square meter of area) until the first fabric reveals. Do you know some ways?

4. jpanhalt

AAC Fanatic!

Jan 18, 2008
    From what I know, you are stuck with abrasive methods. Take a look at the Performax (Jet ) drum sanders. They are open ended, so you could run the belt through perpendicular to its long axis. Jet is WMH Tool group and sells worldwide. The drum sander feeds into the drum, so if it grabs, it pushes the item back out, rather than hogging it in.

Another option would be to use a disk/angle grinder. If there is a shop in your area that does re-treading of tires, it may be able to advise you on the type of grinding wheel to use.

I would be afraid to use anything with blades, such as a jointer or planer, as the rubber might tend to grab and hog in more than with an abrasive.

The only scarf joints I have done on rubber belting were much smaller in width (about 2.5 cm), and for that, I just used a vertical belt sander. The biggest danger is when it grabs and pulls the belt from you. I would definitely not try that method for anything more than 10 cm or so wide. Disk grinders, I believe, are safer in that regard. Good luck. John

5. loosewire

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 25, 2008
    There is a tatto removal substance,check it out.

6. jpanhalt

AAC Fanatic!

Jan 18, 2008

Can you give a link? Are you just referring to laser ablation? Does it remove the tattoo without removing the skin?

Finally, skin and vulcanized rubber seem to have little in common.

John

7. loosewire

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 25, 2008
    Mik-3,is ink Involved and recessed.There is a creme that breaks ink up
    on skin.Too much cost and time for what you want do maybe.You never
    know-F.Y.I.

8. cumesoftware

Apr 27, 2007
    I'm afraid you are a bit off-topic here (despite the name of this particular forum). mik3 needs to remove one rubber layer of a conveyor belt, so the fabric behind reveals.

Indeed a mechanical process is better suited. Using solvents or fire is not recommended, as it will ruin the entire belt.

9. loosewire

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 25, 2008
    I asked if it was( ink) and if it was( recessed), you made it more clear
    that he want to retread a wide rubber belt. So why not think about how they retread a tire,they retread tires with no damage to case.Other members may have answers to help a member.There is a cold peel and
    stick roofing material that may work. How much weight and friction,
    one piece or loop with steel connector pins. Not trying to be smart,
    just trying to help. LOOSEWIRE

Peel and stick cut to size and try to make soild joint,maybe a rubber
    cement. Just thinking out loud.

10. mik3

Feb 4, 2008
    Yes thats what i want

11. thingmaker3

Retired Moderator

May 16, 2005
    Is it possible to affix the rubber grinder's special part to a fixed machine and run the belts past it via a separate drive motor?

12. jpanhalt

AAC Fanatic!

Jan 18, 2008
    That's effectively what I was suggesting above (#4) with the open-ended drum sander/grinder (Performax). For just one or two belts, it is probably not worth the expense ($600 USD new).

Since one is grinding to a line (the fabric core), it should not be that hard to keep the amount removed constant with a hand-held angle grinder. It will be a messy job, though. John

13. loosewire

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 25, 2008
    gauge of nylon thread-?-surface removal area ,feet and inches,
    thichness. Maybe steel mess ?
    Thinking out loud- USE RAZOR KNIFE WITH GAUGE-CUT IN CROSS HATCH
    ROLL UP REAL TIGHT-SEE IF SQUARES POP UP ENOUGH TO DO ANY THING.

One slip the fabric is gone is that correct.

If three or four inches was pulled back at one end ,pressure pulled evenly
    along rubber .Maybe separated by tension with some thing that would not damage fabric,mess no problem ?

Last edited: Aug 12, 2008
  14. mik3

Feb 4, 2008
    Thank you guys for your replies

15. loosewire

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 25, 2008
    MIK-3,How did you do with belt project?

16. mik3

Feb 4, 2008
    I havent study it yet because i have a lot of work. But i think to use a rubber grinder to remove the rubber and reveal the fabrics (i will make it automatic).