RTD Current Source

pdunc

Joined Feb 26, 2010
Good morning,

I am currently in the process of building a circuit to excite an PRT (100 ohm @ 0 degC) with a constant current.

This current should be < 1mA and remain constant regardless of load resistance.

I have found two circuit designs;
  • I've seen the use of a LM317 but this seems to have a minimum current output of around 2 mA - do current regulators go lower than this?
  • Otherwise I found a design which used two op-amps with a precision referance voltage (so a voltage regulator would be used instead) to generate the constant current.
My question is really should I use an integrated current regulator with a low output current or regulate a voltage (~ 2.5 V) and convert this to constant current?

The common method of using a bridge circuit will not provide adequete accuracy for the scope of the measurements.

Thanks in advance,

Peter

pdunc

Joined Feb 26, 2010
What kind of accuracy do you require?
It's really just to satisfy my project requirements, I need the transducer to be as linear as possible over a 0 - 100 deg C range.

I am performing dynamic compensation on the circuit to try to negate the delay in heat transfer through a thermowell. The more linear the response, the less error in my estimations.

I expect it to be non-linear to some extent; ways of correcting that error will be discussed, but they do not really come under the scope of the project.

Hope that makes sense :rolleyes:

@ someonesdad - Thank you for the suggestion, I am reading through the data sheet at the moment.

Thanks again,

Peter

ifixit

Joined Nov 20, 2008
A current regulator diode might work for you. There are lots below 1mA such as 1N5283 to 1N5296. You will still need to provide a voltage to bias everything.

Regards,
Ifixit