RTCC pin PIC microcontroller

djmxyz_1991

Joined Jul 25, 2013
I am using pic18f47j53 microcontroller.It has 1 RTCC pin.what to do with this pin?Is there any physical connections need to be done?According to my knowledge everything is to be done in programming.Please help..

ErnieM

Joined Apr 24, 2011
I am using pic18f47j53 microcontroller.It has 1 RTCC pin.what to do with this pin?Is there any physical connections need to be done?According to my knowledge everything is to be done in programming.Please help..
It sounds like you will not be using the real time clock calendar (RTCC) functions... so you need not do anything with that pin.

That pin has several functions:
RB1 port pin
AN10 analog D2A input
C3INC analog comparator input
RTCC alarm indicator output
RP4 Remappable Peripheral Pin (see 10.7)

You are free to choose any ONE function for that pin. Choosing no function or more then one is possible but takes some skull sweat.

ErnieM

Joined Apr 24, 2011
It takes some skull sweat to choose no function? :D
Yes it does. You mean you've never seen a thread devolve into a flame was about how to terminate an unused pin?

Should it be an input? Tied hi or low? With a resistor? What value?

Should it be an output? Driven hi? Driven low?

ErnieM

Joined Apr 24, 2011
How to configure that alarm indicator output..i.e what type of connections should be done on that RTCC pin??
First you spend an hour or 12 reading section 17.0 REAL-TIME CLOCK AND CALENDAR (RTCC) of the data sheet.

Then you determine which functions of the RTCC will be useful for your application.

Finally, write some code, and test it too to make sure everything is working exactly as you desire.