rs232 - usb conversion

jkj123

Joined Nov 5, 2008
Hello,I have an IR circuit which communicates between 2 pcs properly.Since rs232 cannot support power supply of 5v , I want to change to USB.Please guide me what are the changes I need to do to make it compatible to USB.attached is my curent ckt for rs232. RX and TX conects to rs232.Thanksjaison

Attachments

jkj123

Joined Nov 5, 2008
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------Why don't you buy a ready one serial to usb adaptor?__________________I only want to know how can I modify my rs232 compatible (But TTL level, because it uses 5v) circuit to use as USB compatible.I dont want an adapter i want to design a new ckt.

leftyretro

Joined Nov 25, 2008
My doubt is do we need any software to send and receive in USB as in RS-232 as hyperterminal.Or can we use hyperterminal?thanks
USB serial convertors emulate standard PC COM ports via their device driver. Hyperterminal will work with them just by selecting the proper COM port address in Hyperterminal for the installed and plugged in USB serial adapter.

Lefty

jj_alukkas

Joined Jan 8, 2009
You don't need a special software, but you will need to write the device drivers for that device to show up in windows. Also USB cannot be achieved without a microcontroller. The data sequence is not that simple and you will have to program that also.