RS232 to RF (wireless) converter

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by tinoest, Apr 6, 2009.

1. tinoest

Thread Starter New Member

Aug 17, 2007
    Hi all,

I think im probably over complicating my search for this, so i'll ask instead.

I have a 8031 development board that is connected to my pc via a serial cable presently. I would like to remove this cable and replace it with two RF modules conected to the serial port in each instance.

Is it as simple as using a RF IC with all of its relevant components and a max232 to convert the signal back to what the RF IC can use?

Thanks for any help or advice.

tino

2. UART

Nov 17, 2009
    Yes however let's do it the old school way...

What if:

You take two 2-way radio sets (total:4 radios) feed them a 17kHz generated signal and pulse them via RS-232 signal while having the other line listen (which is on a different frequency) to responses. Perhaps this may work for short range.

then...

Place a 16~17KHz resonator filter circuit for signal quality and the messages between them should automatically decode as if they were wired together.

The radios are cheap, 9v powered (or 5v better) units so they can feed straight off the serial lines with no issue at all.

~ I gotta try it guys ~

What about that?

3. CDRIVE

Jul 1, 2008
    Have you considered using FSK?

4. CDRIVE

Jul 1, 2008
    I did a search on this topic and was not impressed with my results. That doesn't mean that the information isn't out there though. Anyway, have you considered wireless IR link or is the targets not within range?

5. CDRIVE

Jul 1, 2008
  6. UART

Nov 17, 2009
    [quote: Have you considered using FSK? ]

Hm. I Suppose. Although would require additional components (or all-in-1 IC) to pull it off. Perhaps would be suitable for continuous communication applications for the most part.

7. AlexR

Jan 16, 2008
    Its as simple as getting an RF module, see here http://www.hoperf.com/rf_fsk/hm-tr.htm but do a search as other firms make them as well. You don't even need a MAX232 since there are modules that accept 5V logic level signals for the 8031 end but you would need the RS232 version to connect to the PC.

8. CDRIVE

Jul 1, 2008
    Nice packages but websites that force you to fill out a questionnaire, just to get the price, bug the hell out of me.