RS232 to Breadboard? (Crystal Trackball)

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by IowanChef, Mar 17, 2010.

1. IowanChef

Thread Starter Active Member

Mar 6, 2010
    So, I saw one of these Crystal Trackballs at a thrift store the other day, and it was already cheap at $2, but me being the sucker for clear things with LEDs in them that I am, I grabbed it. It's a trackball mouse with a 9 pin D-sub style connector that I have absolutely no use for, so I cut the end off and marked the connections on the cables to the pins of the socket. I've got red, orange, yellow, green, and purple. What I'm wondering, and keep in mind I'm fairly new to all of this (dabbling for a few months now, quite deliberately), is might there be a way to plug these wires into a breadboard and use this attractive tool for other means? Aside from requests for software downloads and ways of hacking them into a vintage video game controller, I can't really seem to find much regarding hacking or modding this thing.

Ultimately, I'm looking for something that doesn't involve a microcontroller or an Arduino. While I have both (not comfortable with them just yet), I would prefer to start at the very bottom and figure out what I can expect regarding output from each cable after supplying voltage to the proper ones. Tracing them on the board is fairly tricky and I'm not 100 percent positive (wakka) that red is positive and what, green or purple for ground?

Any and all input appreciated. Got to love this site.

Thanks in advance.

Cheers.

2. retched

AAC Fanatic!

Dec 5, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2010
    IowanChef likes this.
  3. IowanChef

Mar 6, 2010
    Thanks retched, I think I've got that info fairly tracked-down. I suppose I can plug the five wires into the breadboard and apply the appropriate voltage, but even then, what's appropriate for a mouse that was expecting to get plugged into a PC? And what will the other three wires take/spit out? For example, is it even possible to use this in conjunction with an 8950 voice modulator chip, or a decade counter or any of those sorts of things? It's just such a cool piece that certainly won't get used for its intended purpose, I just want to know if my ambition is a little high for something like this.

I should also note, it's got a couple chips inside it. A 4049 and a Sysgration SYS2012, the latter of the two not producing much via Google..

Thanks again.

4. retched

AAC Fanatic!

Dec 5, 2009
    Ah hem.... If you would look on the 2nd link I posted..but I digress..

5 volts is your input voltage. And you can do a lot with them. They usually have optical encoders for the movement, and you can use them for many a neat things..even tone and volume control, or as a WAH-WAH effect type jammie..Or a scratch pad for mixing records. or, or, or :)

IowanChef likes this.
  5. IowanChef

Mar 6, 2010
    Many apologies, retched. Somehow the links blended into the surrounding scenery or something because I didn't see them the first time. And that's precisely what I was wondering, the whole tone/volume control. Thank you thank you. Let me dive into these links and see what knowledge awaits.

Much appreciated.

6. retched

AAC Fanatic!

Dec 5, 2009
    Any time. moin-friend