rs232 port in De1 board

Discussion in 'Embedded Systems and Microcontrollers' started by chiman777, Mar 13, 2013.

1. chiman777

Thread Starter New Member

Jan 26, 2013
    I am currently working on a school project in which I am using a velleman mk120 ir light barrier kit to transfer and send serial data via an rs232 port connected directly to a computer. The question I have is regarding the rs232 port on the de1 board. I plan to connect the Tx and Rx pin on the De1 board to the transmitter using a mosfet attached to where the data is being sent, somewhat like a switch.

This is actually a modification of the original project in the first sentence, but nonetheless I wanted to get a general idea of how to program it because I was searching on the internet, and I observed that the NIOs software would be needed to program the rs232 port. I'm familiar with Quartus, not so much with NIOs, so I was wondering if anyone could help me out with the general idea of how it would need to be coded. I asked about it on the projects forum, but no one responded, so perhaps this would be a better place to ask...

The schematics are attached if you need to check it out. The mosfet and wire to the rs232 port on the de1 board would be attached to the base of q3