Royer Oscillators vs Regular oscillators, whats the difference?

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by zero_coke, Nov 13, 2012.

1. zero_coke

Thread Starter Active Member

Apr 22, 2009
    I'm making some wireless power transfer scheme and I'm at a stage where yeah I'm stuck. I need to feed 8 Amps into my primary coil to set up some strong magnetic field, but to get 8 Amps there I gotta go through a few stages right?

Right now, I made a power supply to give me 12V @ 10 A from my wall outlet. Then I used the 12V, down regulated it to 5V, and this feeds into my oscillator. This oscillator is some generic oscillator that spits out a signal of some frequency but it has very low output like in the order of milliAmps and roughly 4V. Then I connected this to my power amplifier circuitry but this is where the problem lies. The components to amplify this signal are so expensive...the RF power rated transistor is some $150! I need the transistors to amplify my signal from milliAmps to 8 Amps!

The real question is: Is this why a Royer oscillator is used instead having a low-power oscillator connected to an RF amplifier? Because the RF amplifier part is too expensive to make? And because the Royer oscillator oscillates at high power??

2. Dodgydave

Distinguished Member

Jun 22, 2012
    It has the advantages of simplicity,self oscillation, low component count, rectangle waveforms and easy transformer isolation.

3. Audioguru

Dec 20, 2007
    A Royer oscillator was used a long time ago to make a mains frequency (50Hz or 60Hz)DC to AC power inverter. Since you did not post your schematic then we don't know why yours has an output of only a few mA.

An inverter made with a Royer oscillator never had a power amplifier.
    A Royer oscillator was never used in an RF circuit.

4. zero_coke

Apr 22, 2009
    How do you determine the oscillations and the frequency then?

I don't understand why a Royer oscillator is used in almost all the projects I see that are doing wireless power transmission for midrange (2-3 feet) distances. Why are they using this instead of a regular oscillator and then pumping the power up? Does the Royer oscillator do that all in one or something?

5. Dodgydave

Distinguished Member

Jun 22, 2012
  6. Audioguru

Dec 20, 2007
    I have never seen wireless power transmission further than a few inches and higher than a few Watts. Please post the link to the one you are talking about.

Google shows a few circuits using a low frequency and a low RF frequency but none has a Royer oscillator.

zero_coke likes this.
  7. zero_coke

Apr 22, 2009
  8. Audioguru

Dec 20, 2007
    Yes, the Pocketmagic circuit has a Royer power oscillator. Its transmitter uses 180W at 63.1kHz and its receiver drives a light bulb with a few Watts a few inches away. VERY poor efficiency.

The second link needs membership or something to see it. Please post its schematic.