Router blocks certain sites. WHY?

Discussion in 'Computing and Networks' started by strantor, Dec 10, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. strantor

Thread Starter AAC Fanatic!

Oct 3, 2010
    About a month ago one of the other forums that I frequent went down, and stayed down for days (so I thought) then I accessed it on my phone at school. When I got home the site appeared to be down again. I got on my phone again and verified that the site was indeed still up. I tried bypassing my router and I was able to access the site when I plugged ethernet straight from the cable modem to the laptop. Put the router back in the picture, and the site appears down again. I've tested this multiple times and I know the router is the problem. Also, every computer and mobile device that accesses the internet via my router is unable to load the page. I have tried Internet Explorer, Firefox, Safari, and Google chrome. I went to the router config page by typing in my router's IP address and my router does have a function to block sites; I can set up content filtering (parental controls) and/or I can block specific sites. But this feature is not set up or even enabled. There should be no reason I can think of for my router to block the site. I have been accessing the site via a tunnel proxy for the past month, but this is not ideal as it kills a lot of the scripts, and I'm not convinced that it is secure as the name implies.

It just now decided to add facebook to its blacklist, which is not going over well for the rest of the family (ok, and me too) so I really need to figure out what the heck is going on. What would cause a router to arbitrarily black list certain sites? I've been on the phone with Belkin tech support for over an hour, and they weren't able to help me - hung up on me actually. I suspect that the chick got to the end of the flow chart she was reading from, didn't know what to do, so she just pressed the red button.

Info:
    Router: Belkin N750 DB Wireless N+ Router
    Model: F9K1103V1

From internet explorer:
    From Google Chrome:

2. tshuck

Oct 18, 2012
    Does it still block it in Incognito mode(Chrome)?

3. strantor

Oct 3, 2010
    yep

(character requisite)

4. tshuck

Oct 18, 2012
    As basic as this is, have you tried unplugging the router and waiting 10 seconds to plug it back in? I have tried to solve a similar problem before, spending quite some time, only to try to unplug it and plug it back in and have it work.:(

What ISP are you using? This is just to confirm that the DNS is working properly.

Also, can you access the router's admin settings (by pointing to the IP address usually on the router itself)?

5. strantor

Oct 3, 2010
    Yes, Comcast, and yes.

6. tinamishra

Dec 1, 2012
    With most families currently owning multiple computers, home networks have become a necessity. Your home router provides multiple computers the power to share a association to the net, share files between computers, and share printers. Another feature that your home router provides is that the ability to dam specific websites, or specific key words, from individual computers on the house network. obstruction websites victimization your home router could be a great way to manage the access that home members wear the net, particularly wherever young kids area unit involved.
    Accessing your router.

7. vortmax

Oct 10, 2012
    a few things you can try...

factory reset the router...probably a small pin hole or some combo of buttons plus a power cycle. You should be able to find that info online. That should wipe any odd settings.

Manually assign the DNS address to your computer. Use 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4. Those are google's public DNS servers. If the router is blocking using DNS redirects, this will circumvent it.

You can also log into your router and attempt to find the system logs (all routers I've used have this). Watch the logs as you attempt to load the page. There should be a clue as to what the router is doing...whether it is blocking it because of an IDS or firewall rule, or if it is a bad route, or whatever.

strantor likes this.
  8. Ian Rogers

Dec 12, 2012
    I had a similar problem... My router was blocking some sites and allowing others..

Turned out the time on the router was out.. Some DNS servers need the time to be correct. Once set the sites were then available...

Just a thought!!

strantor likes this.
  9. strantor

Oct 3, 2010
    I've done the factory reset, and updated the firmware, but the last 2 suggestions are new info for me. I'll have to try them both. thanks.

10. strantor

Oct 3, 2010
    I'll try that one too! thanks

11. thatoneguy

AAC Fanatic!

Feb 19, 2009
    Can you ping their IP address?

hobby-machinist seems to be at 108.160.148.64

If so, and you are going through a proxy server, they may have their webserver .htaccess file set up to block proxies. Several sites block proxies, usually sites that use ad revenue for support.

hobby-machinist has a border router that blocks traceroute from my side(s), but pings get through fine for me.

In windows, Hit <WIN>+R (run command)
    type
    cmd

then
    ipconfig /all

make sure you have at least 2 lines stating:
    DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . :xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
    xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx

Make sure those xxx's are the DNS addresses from your ISP, you could try using a different DNS for a bit as well.

See if you can get to the Network Test Tools Site and run tests to see if you can be reached both ways, and the site you want to reach can be accessed both ways. That will narrow it down to your machine, your router, or your ISP.

12. electronis whiz

Jul 29, 2010
    i would guess a setting, but the reset would have solved that. routers for home use don't usaly have really any option to configure the firewall because all they do is if an internal system requests 1234.1234.1234.1234 then it will alow response from that adress only if iniiated from inside. do you have another router you could barow or try? my first router was a welkin worked about 6 mo then would cut out at least once a week and sometimes every day. this was fixed by unpluging and pluging back in. firmware upgrade didn't even help. ended up just replacing it with a $25 netgear refurbished unit and no problems. i have heared lots of other people with problems with belkin routers, and they just replace them. from the isue and the fixes atempted to no efect i would kind of suspect the divce has gone bad.

13. shreyans

Apr 18, 2015
    try changing firmware that will fix it. i had faced this issue with my belkin n150 before now its working fine

14. MrChips

Oct 2, 2009
    Two and a half years later I don't think anyone is listening.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.