Rotary Position Monitoring

Dritech

Joined Sep 21, 2011
Hi all,

I want to monitor the position on a DC motor which will be rotating 340° only (not full rotation). Is a potentiometer a prectival device to use for monitoring the position to the nearest 1° ? Will slight changes to Vcc have a significant effect on the position respective output voltage?

Any help will be highly appreciated.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
You can get the incremental encoder in 360 pulses per rev.
Did you also intend positioning to a degree? If so what control method are you using?
CUI also have programmable capacitive detection versions quite cheap.
Max.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
Pots usually only have 270 degrees or 300 degrees. Linearity is a problem. Repeatability depends on the driving current or voltage being stable (but we know how to do that). The encoder method seems a lot better for accuracy and being able to cover the whole range you need.

Dritech

Joined Sep 21, 2011
Thanks a lot for the replies. Where can I find to buy an optical encoder which is the same size of a standards potentiometer? Also, ere these similar sensors with a single channel (since I do not want to know the direction)?

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
The CUI (DigiKey) are small, but if you don't want to use a quadrature encoder for directional indication, then you would need some absolute type of device.
Encoders can be obtained in absolute, but alot more than a single input, it sounds as if you are limited to a single (analogue) input?
Max.

Dritech

Joined Sep 21, 2011
Hi,

Sorry for the late reply. I was considering a potentiometer for two reason:
1) because of space
2) to eliminate the calibration process required when using an encoder.

So lets say I use the potentiometer in the link below, will I be able to stop the motor in 1 degrees (2 degrees max.) intervals?
Also, is a potentiometer reliable for repetitive positioning?

http://www.bourns.com/data/global/pdfs/6637.pdf

Thanks in advance.

Bernard

Joined Aug 7, 2008
The stated resistance rotation is 340 deg +- 3 deg. If you have some tolerance in motor rotation of 340 deg., then it might work. Stopping motor within +- 1 deg. is doughtfull, unless it is a gear reduced motor- just gut feeling.

Dritech

Joined Sep 21, 2011
Hi,

I found a three turn potentiometer which I caqn use for this application. I can apply 15V as Vcc to get from 0V to 5V for a 360degrees rotation.

The motor is with a planitary gear.

Last edited: