Rotary encoder help

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
My point was that when first developed the description incremental and/or quadrature encoder was coined due to the fact the two pulses were 90° apart, not the fact that the basic line count can be increased to x2 or x4.

(BTW Wikipedia also agrees)!:)
The two output wave forms are 90 degrees out of phase, which is what quadrature means
Max.

Last edited:

THE_RB

Joined Feb 11, 2008
Thanks Max, I think we're on the same page now.

I wonder how many lines Inwo's encoder has? I don't have an easy test technique. The last high-lines one I did by running with a DC motor and using my handheld optical tacho on a piece of sticky tape reflector (showing motor revs) then put the output of one encoder channel into a freq meter.

The one before that was a 77 line metal disc encoder so I just counted them by eye. About 4 or 5 times. ;)

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
I wonder how many lines Inwo's encoder has?
There is no real easy way to tell unless you have a counter of some kind.
It appears from the part number it could be 100p/rev, the other number (254) is not a common resolution, it is also now obsolete.
The DRC site cross ref is not much help:confused:,
Max.

inwo

Joined Nov 7, 2013
@ Max etal,

Counting pulses on one channel seems to be about 100. Not easy to estimate without connecting a counter or turning slowly with a gear motor.

I didn't take the time, as no need to know right now.

I do have a question. You seem to have thought about encoders and have a clear picture of their operation.

In another thread, a simple low parts count, way is needed to tell if an encoder is moving or stopped.

A 11 pin timer http://www.el-supply.dk/Shoppix/5732OMRON.pdf that I intended to use in the delay-on mode doesn't work as thought.

The 8 pin timers are level trigger by the power terminals. I don't believe the encoder outputs could power these without a buffer.
Haven't researched it yet!:)

The 11 pin is triggered by "start" pin that sets a latch. Ignoring further input on "start".

Reset by "reset" pin.

What do you think of using CH A to trigger timer and CH B to reset timer?

That should output pulses only if encoder is moving.

When stopped, encoder shaft would have to jitter 1/4 pulse before it registered a false pulse.

I'm having trouble getting my head around this.
Would this be a better choice than the "timed" debounce option?

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
Off the top I would think that timer would NOT be a good option for registering an encoder movement?
What anticipated RPM are we looking at? Also what is the primary function? Just to indicate if the motor is turning?
It sounds as though you are looking to set it up as a simple Watchdog timer, this could be done simply with a 555 if need, the method keeps resetting the 555 and stops it timing out, if it does the watchdog alarms or...
For off the shelf, there are also encoder friendly devices such as position and counting made by RedLion sold by DigiKey etc.
Being 2 channel encoder, I suspect if may be open collector output, generally 12vdc-24vdc.
Max.

inwo

Joined Nov 7, 2013
OP would like to use industrial controls like simple timers and relays.

Timer would only receive one pulse per 1 minute or 5 minutes.

And it must sit for a half hour without a pulse to alarm.

I'm thinking if encoder was sitting on an edge, any vibration would send a pulse.

My thought was to use a set/reset by A/B, it would remain latched (no pulses) until moving to the following channel.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
I still think there may be other options, what and how is the motor commanded?
I would think there are other means of indication further back in the chain?
This would eliminate the concern from a 'jitter' pulse?
Max.

inwo

Joined Nov 7, 2013
A lot to wade thru.
http://forum.allaboutcircuits.com/showthread.php?t=99211

In a nut shell. The indication is removed from the traction motors.

Motors are still operating when stuck in one place.

I haven't seen it, and have no idea if vibration is transmitted back to the center pivot.

The decision to try an encoder and timer has been made.

The resettable timer was my first suggestion. I've used that in high speed missing parts detection on punch presses.

I use the last part detected to start a timer and a fixed time to see the next part.

Using plc is a different game though.:D Here I'm restricted to one or two timers.

False pulses have to be eliminated. 1/2 hour alarm timer will reset if it sees a pulse.

It has been decided that it only alarms after ~1/2 hr. Will not alarm if a few pulses are missed.