ROM as instructor

Robin Mitchell

Joined Oct 25, 2009
Hi guys,

Some of you may have seen my ALU schematic on my 4 -Bit computer. As you can see, it uses many logic gates to instruct the alu to do diffrent functions.

Now, is it possible to have a chip of some sort that you personally program bit by bit so when a valid instruction is sent it gives an output. For example;

I send the code 1001 to the chip and it selects the artihmetic unit

Thanks!!!

It was a commonly used part for address decoding. It's also known as a 1 of 8 selector. The truth table is on page one. A really big but less common version was the 74LS154

Robin Mitchell

Joined Oct 25, 2009
I get the table now, but i dont understand that the output i want is low and not high. Does this mean that every output needs an inverter?

Example:

Input output
001 1111111110

I want:

Input output
001 0000000001

Robin Mitchell

Joined Oct 25, 2009
WHAT WERE THEY THINKING :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:
AHHHHHHHH!!! THEY ARE SO IRRITATING

Can i just enable all the enable pins?

Oh, who else here hates it when they do stupid pin layouts. For example, the RS flips flops 4043 have the inputs in random locations!!!

Oh, by the way blueroomelectronics, love the avatar!

thatoneguy

Joined Feb 19, 2009
If you want to "Roll Up" some of the chips, but still stay with DIPs, take a look at the 16GALxx type Programmable Logic Arrays

If you have a ROM Burner, it should also work with them. I use palasm, an assembly type language for describing what the pins "do", but there are other options as well.

This could simplify the 4 bit ALU without using a uC. Have you looked at the Home Built Z-80 and 6502 systems made with Wire-Wrap?

The ancient Intel 4004 is a 4 bit micro.

4 bit micros never had a large market share. I thought you wanted to avoid microcontrollers?

Hint look at an Apple 2 vs Apple 2e motherboard. The 2e used a custom IC to replace scads of TTL on the Apple 2

Idea. You might want to look up a Sinclair ZX80 clone. There was a bit of hardware that used software tricks to get rid of glue logic.

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
Going way back, I can only think of the Univac 1206 and 1208 computers, and they had 6 bit instructions. But they also had lots of I/O channels.

Just over 10,000 transistors (PNP) and could be considered as all NOR gates (1206) or NAND gates (1208).