Rod Serling in my home!

iONic

Joined Nov 16, 2007
do-do-do-do, do-do-do-do!
Weird stuff just happened in my house tonight.
I was using the "over-the-stove" exhaust fan while cooking pasta. The fan was on low, which means that I had to turn the nob twice to get it there. When finished, I turned the nob once and then once again. Each time I heard a noise coming from in my kitchen.

Turns out that is was my coffee bean grinder. It was setup with a serving of whole beans for the following morning.

So turning the fan motor on did nothing, but turning it off caused my bean grinder to briefly turn on. The grinder is about 8 feet away from the fan motor and on a different circuit line.

What's up with that??

All speculators welcome to comment!!

UPDATE:
Tried it unplugged.....nothing happened.
Tried it in different outlets, closer to the fan...nothing happened.
I think I need to check to see if it is the same line from the breaker box...

...and of course, my continuity checker is MIA! Just put that line in this past year.

Last edited:

iONic

Joined Nov 16, 2007
That could be a clue.

Every thing nowadays is electronic controlled. Only thing keeping things powered off is a thin layer of silicon.:)
Ahh, man... thanks for the vote of confidence!

I believe this a recent phenomena, as I have had the bean setup for some time.
But the two devices are on the same line.

Also, But, the fan motor has was just replaced due to the previous one being bad. The mfgr sent me the new one...I bolted it in and plugged the supply in.

Now I need to check the motor connection to be sure it securely plugged in.

Jaguarjoe

Joined Apr 7, 2010
I wonder if the neutral wire (white) is loose at the panel box. Funny things happen when 2 devices are in series across a 220 source with no neutral.

iONic

Joined Nov 16, 2007
I wonder if the neutral wire (white) is loose at the panel box. Funny things happen when 2 devices are in series across a 220 source with no neutral.
Well, 120V actually.

I found my continuity checker and everything tested OK. I also tried to show my brother the "Ghost of Rod Serling," but apparently Rod has left! I could not repeat the phenomena.

Maybe I will have to blame Solar Flairs for the strange occurrences.

scoobydoo

Joined Nov 25, 2013
I'm only guessing here but I think it might be a grounding problem. Remember grounding and bonding are not the same thing so I'm not talking about about the green wires that run to your panel. I'm talking about the connection between the neutral and ground wires on the supply side at the service entrance which is probably your panel but could be elsewhere. This establishes the 0V reference level for the neutral. If its loose you could get a current imbalance on the neutral line. Now add in a switching motor and its possible you could get a ghost in the machine. You should have an electrician check out your system.

Scooby