Rockwell 1.5 hp motor

fred stewart

Joined Feb 6, 2015
Hello to all: I just joined this forum and hope i can help some one with some electrical problems i have bHeen a electrician for 30 years plus. But now i have a problem myself hoping some one can help. I have a rockwell 1.5 hp motor that is on a 1965 model Delta/rockwell radial arm saw. A 120/230 volt single phase motor. It has 5 wires coming out of the motor. they are wired to a start capacitor and a relay called a potential relay and overload protector. I have contacted rockwell and they don't have info on this motor. the model of the radial arm saw is 33-564. the motor cover model num is 438-02-314-0302. the motor runs but I don't think it is wired properly. I just purchased the saw and i did not run it but a few seconds at a time. don't want to damage it . need a schematic of the wiring for this motor. HELP!

fred stewart

Joined Feb 6, 2015
I don't know much about this sort of thing but perhaps the following link may help:

http://www.justanswer.com/electrica...gram-rockwell-83-651-motor.html#ixzz3R7KFr7gl

This was the response I found interesting:

For 230v (this being the high voltage on your motor - connect 1&5 to L1... 4&8 to L2... Then join 2&3 then 6&7. This will give you CW rotation at 230v.
Thanks for your help the only problem is it only has five wires coming out of the motor also the problem is where to put the start capacitor and the pontential relay in the ckt? I will try the web sight you mention Thanks!

chuckey

Joined Jun 4, 2007
If you can run it for a few seconds, the potential relay should go click and the motor current fall. If you problem is that you want to run it off 230V and its wired for 110, the current will be too high. If its the other way around, the current will be low and the motor gutless. The potential relay may not pull in.

Start windings are higher resistance then the main windings, say 50 ohms as opposed to 5. the capacitor is always in series with the start windings and is only connected while the motor is getting up to speed. This is where I think the potential relay is connected (across the start winding), so while the motor is "starting" there is a big voltage drop across the cap, as the motor hits speed the voltage across the start winding increases , the relay pulls in and the cap is connected, but the coil is still connected by the cap to the mains.

If its a 1.5 HP motor then it takes 1.5 X .75 ~1.1 KW, = 10 A @ 110V or 5A @230 V, so the motor overloads should be either 12 or 6A depending on the voltage setting.
Frank