Robotics Conference

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Georacer, Dec 10, 2010.

1. Georacer

Thread Starter Moderator

Nov 25, 2009
    I just returned from the 2nd Hellenic Robotics Conference in the city of Patras, and I can say it was pretty... DARN AWESOME!

It lasted two days and the topics discussed involved artificial vision, kinematics and performance factors, underwater and sea robotics, robot control, movement design and applications in education, biomimetics and nanorobotics and finally space and airborne robotics.

These subject were mainly covered by diploma and doctorate essays by greek universitie's students. There where also some presentations by proffesor's and the guest star was Dr Nikolaos Mauridis. Here's a reference news page on him:http://www.timeoutdubai.com/knowledge/features/11681-hot-seat-dr-nikolaos-mavridis

In all there were many innovative ideas, some clever build propositions ... and some trivial ones. Unfortunately in the end all that made me feel to much of a gray-haired, chalk-covered professor.
    I want to go out there and build something!

2. loosewire

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 25, 2008
    Did you go to Dubai for the conference.

3. tom66

May 9, 2009
  4. Georacer

Thread Starter Moderator

Nov 25, 2009
    An american told me once that many americans think that Greece is in the US because there's a city called Athens overseas.

I don't mean that you think so too, loosewire. Not everyone has to know all of the greek cities.

5. jpanhalt

AAC Fanatic!

Jan 18, 2008
    Actually, we have Greece in the US, it's right outside Rochester,NY. We also have a Rome and Athens. But, you don't have a Los Angeles or New York.

Although our TV shows may suggest that most Americans don't have a clue where Greece is, a lot do. You owe us money.

John

6. Georacer

Thread Starter Moderator

Nov 25, 2009
    Get to the line... We owe to half the globe.

Actually, I think our loan debts to the US are paid sometime now, but some operation rights may still be running. Then again, I might be wrong.

What is certain is that the US presence and influence in Greece is still strong.

P.S. This Offtopic topic has gone offtopic in no time...

7. Wendy

Mar 24, 2008
    I'm more into combat robotics. A lot of purists choke on that phrase, but do you really want a 300 pound machine meant to cause mayhem autonomous?

The military has picked up on it as a real weapon, but they aren't autonomous either.

8. jpanhalt

AAC Fanatic!

Jan 18, 2008
  9. loosewire

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 25, 2008
    Why all the maps and lessons on maps,look
    in his link on post it say Dubai. So I him did
    he go to Dubai.Where was the conference
    held,is that a better question. Rome Ga.
    without google.You guys think I'm a
    dummie or some think. I will remember
    this for my 2010 evaluations.

10. jpanhalt

AAC Fanatic!

Jan 18, 2008
    I think that makes it pretty clear where the conference was held.
    Dr. Nikolaos Mauridis is at UAE University. The report of his work was linked to Dubai journal.

John

11. Georacer

Thread Starter Moderator

Nov 25, 2009
    I wish I had gone to Dubai, just for the sake of it.
    Unfortunately the conference was back here in Greece. (or fortunately, because if it was being held at dubai, I would propably miss it).
    I think that settles it.