Robotics a man made wonder science!!

joseph gerard

Joined Mar 19, 2010
Hi to all,
Robotics is a word which stands for the science, which has given automation a new dimension.Robots can be found anywhere like in factories, workshops, science labs etc. These Automation Equipment had contributed a lot in the increment of production in the manufacturing processes and also in the field of science like studies going on in space. We can see robots operating with the doctors in the operation theater. Soon they will be all around us, that day is not too far what do you think.

Joseph Gerard

Last edited:

joseph gerard

Joined Mar 19, 2010
Hi there,
Automation science is a revolutionary technique which changed the face of the of the manufacturing process. The Automation Equipment increased the production rate and also lowered the errors and defects occurred in the production. Also it has reduced the men stress. Nowadays its the basic need of any production unit worldwide. In homes also many automation systems are installed like controlling electricity and many operations through mobile or telephones.What is your view about that.

Joseph

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
These topics did not seem to be essentially different, so they are in the same thread.

1. Robots. Not quite like the street scenes in "I, Robot"

2. Automation is ubiquitous. And unremarkable. Any lazy person would work to automate any repetitious task.

retched

Joined Dec 5, 2009
The role that robots play in our day-to-day lives is ever-increasing. Even at McDonalds, they are incorporating robotics to speed production...for french fries..

They have a device that auto-fills the fry baskets and gravity-feeds the filled baskets to a station closer to the fryers. There is a large hopper at the top that shakes a measured amount of uncooked fries into the baskets.

As for manufacturing, there is a program called "How It's Made" on TV that shows many factories that are using from partial to fully automated manufacturing processes.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Naw, I'm a kung fu has been. Knees couldn't take it anymore. 14 years of training though, and I reached blue belt.

Guess I'm a tech has been too, though hope springs eternal. 24 years of doing that, some pretty advanced stuff too, but now I run the machines I used to repair. The jobs I would like to do seem to be mostly overseas now.

BTW, the robots I was talking about are the gold wire bonders. They have very advanced vision, and really tight specs on the dimensions.

retched

Joined Dec 5, 2009
OH jeez. do they.. I have never seen one "in person" but I have seen video of the gold wire connections being made from internal ICs to the external pins of a package... fast and accurate..amazingly so.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
There is another branch to that industry called microelectronics. Gold traces on alumina ceramic circuit boards, with raw chip and transistor die glued with both conductive and non conductive epoxies. Think SMT on steriods.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
This tech was invented right after transistors. In the early days it was close to being integrated circuits. Nowdays we use really dense ICs and lots more wires, but the basics still remain the same.

Back when I worked for Rockwell I wondered why we were making circuits that could be replaced by TTL. The answer is when they were designed TTL didn't exist. We made a lot of Redstone missle parts, and stuff for the space shuttle too.

Vision systems keep improving, but humans are still king for pattern recognition. I'm looking forward to seeing what neural nets can do. As for targeting where the wire goes (accuracy) machines left humans behind a long time ago.

retched

Joined Dec 5, 2009
One other thing that is neat, about computer targeting, is the air guns and vision systems that are used to 'blast' burnt potato chips off the production line. fast, fast, fast.