Robot Soccer!

evilsummoned

Joined Oct 27, 2014
Hi folks, I have to work on a project about specifying a circuit of my choice inside one of those robocup robots. I have, however, encountered great difficulties since I am not at all familliar with all those "black-box" circuits diagrams, I am, in fact, looking for a simple circuit that could be described with DC sources, resistors, diodes, or, at most, some transistors or solenoids.
I have not been able to find them, though, I thought that perhaps the circuits that proportionate the kick, or the dribbler (for the small robots) would fit my requirements, unfortunately, the few I have found did not, would someone here be able to help me?

evilsummoned

Joined Oct 27, 2014
With all due respect to you sir, but if you take no meaning of my words when I say that "I am, in fact, looking for a simple circuit that could be described with DC sources, resistors, diodes, or, at most, some transistors or solenoids." inside a robot, I am obliged to infer that the concept of sources, resistors, diodes, transistors and solenoids are unknown to you, if that is not the case, which I believe it is not, then could you perhaps care to explain why are my words devoid of content?

shteii01

Joined Feb 19, 2010
With all due respect to you sir, but if you take no meaning of my words when I say that "I am, in fact, looking for a simple circuit that could be described with DC sources, resistors, diodes, or, at most, some transistors or solenoids." inside a robot, I am obliged to infer that the concept of sources, resistors, diodes, transistors and solenoids are unknown to you, if that is not the case, which I believe it is not, then could you perhaps care to explain why are my words devoid of content?
You said: "looking for a simple circuit that could be described with DC sources, resistors, diodes, or, at most, some transistors or solenoids"

That right there is your problem. You are talking about parts. What you should be asking is function. The parts you listed are there to perform a function. Since you don't have a function in mind, since all you have is a list of parts, nobody is going to bother digging up circuits that may or may not have the parts you listed. For that matter, you can go digg up those circuits on internets yourself, no need to bother the rest of us.

evilsummoned

Joined Oct 27, 2014
The main point about my post is exactly that I do not have a function in mind, although I have loosely mentioned two possibilities, but I need a circuit which contains only those parts, and, as I mentioned, I have not been able to find them, but since there are people here who might have practical knowledge about this, I asked if anyone knew any circuit used in these projects that could fit my requirements. Therefore, I have not, under any circumstance, asked anyone to "dig up" anything in the internet, much less provoked belligerent fools such as you have shown to be.

elec_mech

Joined Nov 12, 2008
Welcome to AAC.

As shteii01 has pointed out, we really need more information before we can be of any help. Also note shteii01 is not being belligerent, he's simply trying to get you to think more about what it is you're asking for and clarify what it is you're trying to do.

Based on the phrasing of your initial question, this almost sounds like a textbook homework question - 'Describe a circuit with these parts'. To us, this reads like 'Describe a car with doors, windows, seats, and maybe a wiper motor or door lock.' While all these parts are used in a car, you couldn't build (a working) one without an engine, tires, suspension, etc. And what do you mean by describe? Typically circuits are drawn as schematics then a description could be made about the schematic outlining the operation. Unless this is for an introductory electronics class and your teacher/professor literally means a worded description and nothing more? I make these points not to belittle you, but to help you see how we're viewing your question.

You've also mentioned robocup robots and hinted at a kicker or dribbler. I'm not familiar with these types of robots or functions, but a quick search yields wheeled and bipedal versions. Which version do you have in mind? Given a choice, I'd suggest sticking with the wheeled one as they'll be much easier to design and describe.

So let's step back and see if we can help narrow in on what you're looking for.

1. What is the end goal - turn in a simple worded description for class, turn in a circuit schematic, or are you ultimately trying to build a working circuit to use in a robot?
  2. What is it you want the circuit to do, e.g., drive the robot, kick a ball, avoid other robots, detect light and sound a buzzer, etc.? Be as specific as possible.
We're going to ask a lot of questions along the way to get you think about how to define and tackle the problem. Think of a us like a teacher or professor - we'll help you ask the right questions and direct you to where you can find information to form an answer, but we're not simply going to provide a complete solution. I'm not saying this is what you've asked for, I just want you to understand there is a reason for all our questions - to help you learn which is the goal of this forum.

So if you answer question 2 simply with 'kick a ball', we're going to follow up with questions like:
  • When does the robot know when to kick the ball?
  • Do you need to vary the force of the kick or will it always be the same?
  • How will the robot kick, e.g., solenoid, servo arm, etc.?
  • What is maximum time allowed between kicks? Could make a difference if you need to make repeated kicks back-to-back vs. one kick every ten seconds. Might also affect or help decide on the kicking mechanism.

sirch2

Joined Jan 21, 2013
A useful tip when you are new to a forum is to look at the number of posts and length of time the person making a reply has been on the forum. shteii01 has 1921 posts and has been on the forum for nearly 4 years, he also has 231 likes, so it is fair to say he is a well regarded contributor to this forum and probably understands both how the forum works and what is a reasonable response.