Robot home project

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by Jess_88, Jun 8, 2011.

1. Jess_88

Thread Starter Member

Apr 29, 2011
    Hey guys.

I'm thinking of making a robot from scratch as a home project.
    Can anyone recommend a PIC that will allow for programing in higher level code, such as objective C, java or C# ?

thanks guys :)

2. beenthere

Retired Moderator

Apr 20, 2004
    The cart is ahead of the horse. Take some time to list all of the functions the robot is to have, plus how it is to get around. Once you have that information you can look for a microprocessor that can handle those functions.

What experience do you have? Any electronics? Are you mechanical, and have tools?

Jess_88 likes this.
  3. blah2222

May 3, 2010
    Jess_88 likes this.
  4. Jess_88

Thread Starter Member

Apr 29, 2011
    Yeah I have some experience with electronics (circuit design ext), and have designed and built simple portable chess timer devices with tools I own. however, I only have experience in assembly and C programming. I was looking to build this project with a friend of mine (software engineering student), and he prefers object orientated programming. I figure with the two of us, we can make something pretty cool.

Having not built a "robot" before, we are looking to start small then move onto a larger more complex machine.

I'm guessing I just want to get this thing to move for starters, but I want to be able to make manny further upgrade.

My basic idea for now is a moving car with pre programmed moves (forwards, turn left ext). I want to start with three wheels (back two providing motion and front providing direction), because it am wanting to gain experience in controlled degrees of rotation (front wheel).

Last edited: Jun 10, 2011
  5. strantor

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 3, 2010
    I don't have experience with PIC, so my answer will be biased. I like arduino; it's programming language is based on C, so you will probably feel very comfortable with it. I don't see any reason why you couldn't design any kind of robot around an arduino MEGA. The arduino is not a microcontroller, but a development platform PCB built around a microcontroller; all you need to do is plug your power, sensors/actuators to it and go. There is also alot of help available on the arduino forum and there are tons of 3rd party widgets you can get for it (H-bridge circuits, etc) if you don't want to be bothered with making PCBs.

disclaimer: I have never built a robot.

6. ErnieM

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 24, 2011
    There is now an arduino that supports a PIC. It was posted here a week or two ago.

As far as C++ on a PIC, the only one I know of is by SourceBoost and is $99USB for personal use and $199USD for professional. It has a very limited number of supported devices.

If you stick to C you can get a free compiler from Microchip for any device worth using in your project.

Just have you friend figure out how to do his object programming in C. I used to do it in assembly so C should be a cinch!