RMS values

Discussion in 'Homework Help' started by DysonElec, Apr 21, 2008.

1. DysonElec

Thread Starter New Member

Apr 21, 2008
    Hi, I have an exam coming up and I need a little help with getting my head around "RMS values". There was a question in a mock exam I did which was "what is the 'constant' for RMS values?" now I know that the answer is 0.707 but I don't understand what it's about. Can anyone point me in the right direction plzz? thanks

2. mik3

Feb 4, 2008
    To find the rms value you multiply the peak value by the constant you said (0.707) which is more accurately equal to 1 divided by square root of 2. Also this constant is valid only for pure sine waves and for other type of signals like triangular waves. This constant is derived by using calculus. Are you interested to see how?

3. DysonElec

Apr 21, 2008
    Yes very! but have you got all week? lol

4. mik3

Feb 4, 2008
    Check this website buddy. I think you will study all the week to understand!!!!

http://www.dataforth.com/catalog/pdf/an101.pdf

Its boring to write down all these explanation , its hard to calculate it but......if you dont understand the website i will try to explain you.

5. DysonElec

Apr 21, 2008
    I greatly appreciate your help, but i already checked this website out, and couldn't understand it. the coarse i have just started is electrical installation, so only a basic understanding is needed. could you please find a why to help me understand the basics of this topic? thanks

6. mik3

Feb 4, 2008
    Come on dont be bored, read it carefully.:) You actually dont need to know how this constant is derived, just use it. I dont have time now to explain maybe another time i will post the explanation.

7. DysonElec

Apr 21, 2008
    ok i will have a try thanks anyway :)

8. Dave

Retired Moderator

Nov 17, 2003
    If only a basic understanding is needed then accept that the 0.707 comes from 1/\sqrt{2} and then read the qualitative description in the e-book: http://www.allaboutcircuits.com/vol_2/chpt_1/3.html

Dave

9. DysonElec

Apr 21, 2008
    very helpful! thank you very much ;)

10. Dave

Retired Moderator

Nov 17, 2003
    No problem :)

If you also do a search for the term RMS from the main AAC page you will find many other discussions on RMS here in the forums and other uses in the e-book.

Dave