RLC combination help

shteii01

Joined Feb 19, 2010
Just upload pic to imgur and link, or photobucket, or flickr, or whatever other pic hosting service.

(rhetorical question) Why such simple thing like posting a pic is such pain in the a$$? (end of rhetorical question)

shteii01

Joined Feb 19, 2010
Part a.

*Replace inductors with jwL.
j is unit imaginary number
w=60 Hz, this is given to you when they told you about the source
L is inductance of the inductor, you only have one.

Replace capacitor with 1/(jwC)
j is same as above.
w=60 Hz
C is capacitance of the capacitor, you only have one.

Now you have calculated impedance of the inductor and capacitor. The unit of impedance is Ohm. Meaning, you replaced inductor and capacitor with their resistor equivalent. So now you have purely resistive circuit. Some of your resistors are in series, some in parallel. Find equivalent resistance, that is your total impedance of the circuit.

Camelcampbell

Joined Feb 22, 2014
What do you mean by "imaginary number"? Are you referring to the component method?

I've gotten as far as determining XL=3.77ohms and XC=17.68ohms just not sure where to take it from there....

shteii01

Joined Feb 19, 2010
What do you mean by "imaginary number"? Are you referring to the component method?

I've gotten as far as determining XL=3.77ohms and XC=17.68ohms just not sure where to take it from there....
XL and Xc denotes reactance. You need to take it a step further. You need impedance.

To answer your other question:
+j is 90°
-j is -90°

Also. 1/j is equal to -j. So 1/(jwC)=-j/(wC)

anhnha

Joined Apr 19, 2012
Part a.

*Replace inductors with jwL.
j is unit imaginary number
w=60 Hz, this is given to you when they told you about the source
L is inductance of the inductor, you only have one.

Replace capacitor with 1/(jwC)
j is same as above.
w=60 Hz
C is capacitance of the capacitor, you only have one.

Now you have calculated impedance of the inductor and capacitor. The unit of impedance is Ohm. Meaning, you replaced inductor and capacitor with their resistor equivalent. So now you have purely resistive circuit. Some of your resistors are in series, some in parallel. Find equivalent resistance, that is your total impedance of the circuit.
I am sure you meant f = 60Hz.

JoeJester

Joined Apr 26, 2005
I think the answers you posted in post number 6 has problems. Answers b and d can not be the same.

The others are suspect as well.

Last edited: