RL Circuits

EJR5

Joined Jan 20, 2015
can anyone help on RL series to parallel impedance matching I have the values for XS and RS and need to get RP and XP. I need to show these can be expressed the same using algebra.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
Could you be a bit more explicit in what you are looking for. Not sure just what you mean by "matching" in this context.

How about stating a problem and showing what you have done so far on it.

EJR5

Joined Jan 20, 2015
Could you be a bit more explicit in what you are looking for. Not sure just what you mean by "matching" in this context.

I have an RL circuit that is currently in series so I know z=RS+XS I need to make this into parallel to get RP and Xp. I have the values for R

I have a series RL circuit with a known impedance I need to convert this into a parallel circuit with the same equivalent impedance. I know Z=RS+XS for a series RL circuit and I have the values of RS & XS. I need to find RP & XS I have seen the following equations in textbooks and on the web but need to know the algebraic method that was used to get to these equations:
Rp = (RS²+XS²)/RS

Xp = J(RS²+XS²)/XS

shteii01

Joined Feb 19, 2010
The equivalent resistance of two resistors in parallel (say R1 is in parallel with R2) is:
\(
Requivalent=\frac{R1*R2}{R1+R2}
\)

So. Rs+Xs=z. z is known to you. Rp is given to you.
All you have to do is:
\(
z=\frac{Rp*Xp}{Rp+Xp}
\)
You know z, you know Rp. Solve for Xp.

EJR5

Joined Jan 20, 2015
The equivalent resistance of two resistors in parallel (say R1 is in parallel with R2) is:
\(
Requivalent=\frac{R1*R2}{R1+R2}
\)

So. Rs+Xs=z. z is known to you. Rp is given to you.
All you have to do is:
\(
z=\frac{Rp*Xp}{Rp+Xp}
\)
You know z, you know Rp. Solve for Xp.
I know RS and XS need to find RP and XP so I have two unknowns

t_n_k

Joined Mar 6, 2009
I use admittance to simplify the process:

For the parallel case:

\(G_p=\frac{1}{R_p}-j\frac{1}{X_p}\)

For the series case:

\(G_s=\frac{1}{R_s+jX_s}=\frac{R_s-jX_s}{R_s^2+X_s^2}=\frac{R_s}{R_s^2+X_s^2}-j\frac{X_s}{R_s^2+X_s^2}\)

Clearly, if Gs and Gp are equivalent, then equating real and imaginary components leads to:

Real Part:
\(\frac{1}{R_p}=\frac{R_s}{R_s^2+X_s^2}\)

And

Imaginary part:
\(\frac{1}{X_p}=\frac{X_s}{R_s^2+X_s^2}\)

From which your required resulting equations are readily determined.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
I have an RL circuit that is currently in series so I know z=RS+XS I need to make this into parallel to get RP and Xp. I have the values for R

I have a series RL circuit with a known impedance I need to convert this into a parallel circuit with the same equivalent impedance. I know Z=RS+XS for a series RL circuit and I have the values of RS & XS. I need to find RP & XS I have seen the following equations in textbooks and on the web but need to know the algebraic method that was used to get to these equations:
Rp = (RS²+XS²)/RS

Xp = J(RS²+XS²)/XS
Part of the problem likely stems from the fact that Z does NOT equal RS+XS, assuming the XS is the reactance of the inductor.

Is it safe to assume that you are not familiar with complex impedance, but are rather working only with reactance? If so, then what you need to do is find the expressions for the magnitude of the impedance for the series circuit and the phase angle of the impedance for the series circuit. The do the same for the parallel circuit. Once you have those expressions, set the two magnitude equations equal to each other and set the two angle equations equal to each other. That will give you your two equations in two unknowns.