Ringing Transformer overloading or overdriving

Status
Not open for further replies.

DexterMccoy

Joined Feb 19, 2014
When you hear a transformer ringing sound or sounds from a transformer how do you know if it's from overloading the secondary or overdriving the primary? or what else can it be?

When overloading a transformer it makes rings sounds
When overdriving the input it makes ringing sounds

What test can i do with the O-scope to know if the transformer is overdriven or overloaded?

What else would cause ringing in transformers?

The transformer ringing sounds is harmonics?

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
The ringing sounds like lamination vibration due to eddy currents in the core, if due to the transformer overload, this occurs in both primary and secondary, as the secondary load is reflected back to the primary.
Signs of overload are over current accompanied by overheating.
Max.

DexterMccoy

Joined Feb 19, 2014
due to the transformer overload, this occurs in both primary and secondary, as the secondary load is reflected back to the primary.
How do you test using a DVM or O-scope while the transformer is ringing?

On the O-scope , how would u know if the transformer is overloaded or overdriven?

DexterMccoy

Joined Feb 19, 2014
But how would you know if the current is overloaded or overdriven? or how would you see the harmonics of the transformer?

How would u know if the current is distorted? would i need to use a O-scope current probe?

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
But how would you know if the current is overloaded or overdriven? or how would you see the harmonics of the transformer?

How would u know if the current is distorted? would i need to use a O-scope current probe?
Voltage should be dropping off on the secondary and it will start getting hot - too hot to touch for several seconds.

Status
Not open for further replies.