RFID for human following pushcart

Discussion in 'Homework Help' started by czync, Jul 15, 2012.

1. czync

Thread Starter New Member

Jul 12, 2012
    hi, Im a student and we're having a school project called human following pushcart, but we have no idea how to transmit signal to the pushcart for it to follow the human while walking.. can anyone give me some help?

2. bertus

Administrator

Apr 5, 2008
    Hello,

I found this thread in "the completed projects" forum, where it is rendered invisible.
    I moved it over here as it is a school project and made it visible.

Can you tel us your efforts upto now?

Bertus

3. czync

Jul 12, 2012
    Im so sorry for what I have done, Im just a new member.. Anyway , as of now were still researching for other means on how the robot will follow the human.. but Im still curious about RFID will work on our project .

thank you for your reply!!! :)

4. panic mode

Oct 10, 2011
    i thought it was human following pushcart? now it is cart following human?
    that is simpler, all you need is piece of string... :D

so i guess the cart is the 'robot' and you want it to follow the customer?
    why do you need to transmit anything? you don't want to have onboard sensors and intelligence? why not use radio?

5. djsfantasi

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 11, 2010
    Search for "light seeking robot" and see how robots are made that follow or find a light source. There are lots of projects like that. Then in a mental exercise, replace "light" with "human", and some of the techniques may still apply!

6. BMorse

Sep 26, 2009
    RFID range is too short for something like this, unless you want the cart bumping into your heel as you walk.... using some form of Infrared beacon might be better.... person could have an IR transmitter, and the cart could have 2 IR detectors, one on each side of the cart, that way the cart can tell how far the person is from each side of the cart and then can correct its bearings to follow right behind the person and hopefully follow in a straight line.... of course you will need some kind of bumpers or sensors on it to detect a collision (better make it an obstacle detection system, so you do not have to bump into it to find it, better to avoid a collision before it happens rather than after it happens) that way if the person is too far ahead, the cart could "catch up", or if the cart gets too close, then it can slow down.....

7. bertus

Administrator

Apr 5, 2008
  8. czync

Jul 12, 2012
    thank you for all your replies!! It really gave an idea ..