RFID amplifier

pac1jpsnet

Joined Apr 14, 2013
I have a Home Again pet reader and wish to build an independent circuit that runs on 134 khz and a range to 3 miles to locate a missing pet. Am willing to hire someone as not skilled in radio theory and just need the amplifier. Can anyone help me? Thanks.

Meixner

Joined Sep 26, 2011
That will not work, even though you run the signal from the reader through a suitable amplifier and antenna the implant in the pet is unpowered so there is no way to get 3 miles of range from it.

kubeek

Joined Sep 20, 2005
First, you would need to power the tag at the distance of 3km. Very unlikely, as you need properly oriented magnetic filed (not electromagnetic) to power it up.
Then comes the second part, getting the response. The tag is designed to modulate the power field. I doubt you would be able to receive the response over that distance, even if you had some alien technology.

ErnieM

Joined Apr 24, 2011
You would need one huge power source and antenna:

A cell phone tracker is far more practicable, as long as you remember to charge your dog before it goes outside.

If it's a well trained dog and can set up an auto-answer you should be able to call it and tell it to come home.