RF Transmitter

raveel

Joined Apr 17, 2007
Hi All,

Planning to build my own short distance transmitter for car and home… any ideas where I should start from. I'm familiar with circuit theory - may need to refresh few things, but that's the point of this project.

Also like to simulate my circuit in Pspice, if I’m lucky, I would get some kind of ac/dc repsonse before buying any component that I may not use.

Transmitter initial specs:
9v battery or less (1.5v is ideal) -- low power consumption as it’s meant to be for a very short distance
Variable frequency (may need POT)
FM: 86-108MHz will be used..

Please help and point me in the right direction as there are many circuits already available on the internet. Selection is overwhelming. PLL or no PLL.. just a tank or oscillator?

Regards,

Raveel

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
Putting the freq on the FM broadcast band may cause problems. The FCC wants this part of the spectrum reserved for paying customers.

Might something like a baby monitor work for your purpose? the transmission is one-way, but they are quite inexpensive. There are also walkie-talkies available that don't wreck the budget. It's usually best to stay in frequency bands where the activity is permissible.

raveel

Joined Apr 17, 2007
Putting the freq on the FM broadcast band may cause problems. The FCC wants this part of the spectrum reserved for paying customers.

Might something like a baby monitor work for your purpose? the transmission is one-way, but they are quite inexpensive. There are also walkie-talkies available that don't wreck the budget. It's usually best to stay in frequency bands where the activity is permissible.
Hence, the short range - there are products/transmitters like this in the market for you to use. They sale them at radio shack.. and you can use your radio frequencies.. but you'd have to find freq that's not already in-use.

I am looking for circuit ideas to start my design.

Cheers,

Raveel