RF RC Air Horn System

AcedaAce

Joined May 23, 2013
Ok guys, I'm totally new around here so, HI ALL! I thought this would be a good forum for my idea. I need some peoples interest/advice on this plan I conceived in my head.
It is a 120V Remote Control Air Horn to be mounted in a hockey arena.
What I found online is a chinese online manufacturer of RF systems(have concerns with them, but will address later.)
I was gonna draw a schematic(might still if you guys have no idea what im talking about.
Ok so here's the route...
1. Air Compressor (120v, just plugged in anywhere)
2. Air line runs to a Normally Open Electric Solenoid Valve (120V/1A) (This is just a backup safety feature to shut down if necessary)
3. From that runs to a Normally Closed Electric Solenoid Valve(120V/1-2A)
2. + 3. Both these are run by a 2CH AC 110V RF Momentary Remote Control Set (http://www.rfcontrolsystem.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=361_251_302&products_id=318) (Maximum Working Current: 4A / each channel)
4. The air line would then continue on to the Air Horn.

I have a few concerns with this. One is the RF Control system is Chinese made and probably wouldnt confrom to any CSA ratings, but this is all I can find online for this type of device. Does anyone know any other place to get remote control like this? I sure like the price of it.
Would this work as good as I'm thinking it would work? Would there be any interferece with the RF 315mhz? car starters, etc?
Any help would be appreciated thanks in advance, cant wait to hear what you guys think.
Steve

If this should be in Radio And Communication section please let me know or an admin could move. Thx

Last edited:

praondevou

Joined Jul 9, 2011
1. Yes a schematic please
2. What's the distance between transmitter and receiver? Line of sight or through the walls?
3. It doesn't matter where the device is built. Many of our common high-tech devices are built in China. The customer decides what quality he wants.
4. Probably any of those cheap devices will do the job. You will find tons on ebay too.

edwardholmes91

Joined Feb 25, 2013
The customer decides what quality he wants.
Quality is a measure of how well something meets its specification or not. For example someone might make the statement "a Parker pen is better quality than a Bic pen". This statement would be false because they are both quality products, they both meet their specification. The Parker admittedly probably has a higher specification than the Bic ;)

Also you get what you pay for really. If you buy cheap products and tools then chances are they aren't going to last as long as the more expensive ones. But you need to work out... are you going to be using the product enough to justify the higher specification? If the specification of the product meets your requirements then there is no point in buying a more expensive higher specified product.

Finally, don't be drawn in by price tags and don't be convinced by sales assistants that you want to buy their product if it doesn't meet your specification! If you do, chances are you will probably only go looking for it elsewhere and end up with two of them!

Joined Nov 30, 2010
The remote control you posted looks like exactly what you need, but the question you asked is about what OTHER remote control would work, based on your worries about interference, transmitting distance, etc. These things you worry about are unknowable from here. You pays your money and you takes your chances. If it is poor quality, you return it.

This one comes from China. Perhaps you should be looking for a vendor in Canadia?

AcedaAce

Joined May 23, 2013
1. I don't think a schematic is necessary, for what reason?
2. Distance, lets say no more than 150ft tops.
3. No wall, but would it work threw a wall?? It could be used threw glass.
4. I haven't really been able to find any other ones.

1. Yes a schematic please
2. What's the distance between transmitter and receiver? Line of sight or through the walls?
3. It doesn't matter where the device is built. Many of our common high-tech devices are built in China. The customer decides what quality he wants.
4. Probably any of those cheap devices will do the job. You will find tons on ebay too.

AcedaAce

Joined May 23, 2013
I was more worried about the thing catching fire, that is really all. If it just doesnt work, well that the risk I take for getting it.

Quality is a measure of how well something meets its specification or not. For example someone might make the statement "a Parker pen is better quality than a Bic pen". This statement would be false because they are both quality products, they both meet their specification. The Parker admittedly probably has a higher specification than the Bic ;)

Also you get what you pay for really. If you buy cheap products and tools then chances are they aren't going to last as long as the more expensive ones. But you need to work out... are you going to be using the product enough to justify the higher specification? If the specification of the product meets your requirements then there is no point in buying a more expensive higher specified product.

Finally, don't be drawn in by price tags and don't be convinced by sales assistants that you want to buy their product if it doesn't meet your specification! If you do, chances are you will probably only go looking for it elsewhere and end up with two of them!

AcedaAce

Joined May 23, 2013
I totally agree with you that this is the piece. But I am unable to find anything in the States or Canada that sells something similiar. I've contacted Hobby shops, and they dont have any suppliers like this. But possibly there is a different type of radio controlled device I could be using in this situation? (I am not aware of any and seeking out someone who may)

The remote control you posted looks like exactly what you need, but the question you asked is about what OTHER remote control would work, based on your worries about interference, transmitting distance, etc. These things you worry about are unknowable from here. You pays your money and you takes your chances. If it is poor quality, you return it.

This one comes from China. Perhaps you should be looking for a vendor in Canadia?

praondevou

Joined Jul 9, 2011
1. I don't think a schematic is necessary, for what reason?
"2. Air line runs to a Normally Open Electric Solenoid Valve (120V/1A) (This is just a backup safety feature to shut down if necessary)
3. From that runs to a Normally Closed Electric Solenoid Valve(120V/1-2A)"

??
The receiver , a valve, that's it.

3. No wall, but would it work threw a wall?? It could be used threw glass.
Any wall will attenuate the signal, especially concrete (steel).

4. I haven't really been able to find any other ones
there are a lot on ebay.

Just try the one you found. I would go with the "500m" option though. An antenna would also not hurt.

I don't see why this thing would catch fire.
As I said, not everything that is manufactured in China is necessarily bad quality. For a professional setup you would pay much more. So I don't think you have many options. I built once exactly this device, a 110VAC remote switch, cost me $50 just for parts. Then I saw that I could have had it on ebay for $12.