RF Oscillators and Amplifiers Help

Neptune

Joined Dec 16, 2013
I'm working on designing and building a Cyclotron which includes an RF oscillator sub-system. Since we're high school students and lack funds, we're building the system from scratch. I've done a significant amount of research on circuits and electronics, having started from little knowledge, and am still having trouble wrapping my head around RF oscillators and linear amplifiers.

The goal is to design and amplify a 5 MHz signal, that itself is very stable and has no bias, to around 300-400 watts. I've been looking into Clapp oscillators and using triodes to amplify.

I could really use any help or somebody to talk to who has experience in the field. Thank you!

alfacliff

Joined Dec 13, 2013
why not use an older ham transmitter with an amplifier? an 80 meter transmitter should be able to tune to 5 mhz, and most older tube type amps should too.
cliff

Neptune

Joined Dec 16, 2013
That would be a pretty good idea but I have no idea where I could find one, let alone identify a correct one. Sure there's plenty online but how would i know it could do what I want?

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
One of the original cyclotrons at the University of Michigan was built with a 15M (21 Mhz.) amateur radio transceiver. The Dees are what is going to cost you along with detectors and instrumentation.

Kermit2

Joined Feb 5, 2010
Again, as I stated. Budget is going to be the biggest barrier.

Universities can easily afford multi thousand dollar projects. Working american families seldom have such financial reserves.

ian field

Joined Oct 27, 2012
why not use an older ham transmitter with an amplifier? an 80 meter transmitter should be able to tune to 5 mhz, and most older tube type amps should too.
cliff
Can only comment on the UK market where I am - but Ham gear isn't cheap to start with, a tube PA is likely to be collectible and priced accordingly!

Neptune

Joined Dec 16, 2013
I'm a high school student. And cyclotrons are widely built for a couple hundred dollars. There is such a thing as amateur science research. All I'm asking is how to amplify a RF signal with triodes at this point.