RF interference????

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by electronewb, May 16, 2013.

1. electronewb

Thread Starter Member

Apr 24, 2012
    Would putting 2 different RF signal interfere with each others? For exemple, satellite dish transmitting 14Ghz and having a 2GHz omni transmitter antenna right above it.

2. Meixner

Sep 26, 2011
    They should be OK, But I would not mount the omni antenna in the boresight of the satellite dish.

3. electronewb

Thread Starter Member

Apr 24, 2012
    I was thinking of putting it up right on top of the dish on the outer "rim" of the dish. So this wouldn't cause a RF mess?

4. Papabravo

Expert

Feb 24, 2006
    A strong RF source in the vicinity of a sensitive receiver will desensitive the receiver rendering it essentially deaf. The frequency of the transmitter can be very far away (in frequency) from the receiver's passband and still make the receiver go deaf. This is very easy to demonstrate with an HT, a mobile unit and a nearby repeater.

5. electronewb

Thread Starter Member

Apr 24, 2012
    Both are transmitters. One is satellite transmission and the omni is digital MW 2GhZ

6. Meixner

Sep 26, 2011
    It's impossible to be sure without trying it, the satellite dish probably has some sidelobes. If it were me I would try to get a bit more separation.

7. Ramussons

May 3, 2013
    If both are ONLY Transmitters, there would be no problem - provided both transmitting chains have isolators in reverse direction to protect the transmitters.

Ramesh

8. electronewb

Thread Starter Member

Apr 24, 2012
    One receiver is 35 000km in the sky and the 2gig is a high point