RF DESIGN using ORCad PSpice

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by dyrain, Feb 2, 2007.

1. dyrain

dyrain Thread Starter New Member

FOREMOSTLY, does orcad even support RF designs ( say frequencies up to 10GHz)?

currently, i am designing a low noise amplifier using all the trial software versions that are available online. The orcad pspice is one alternative, but i'm a bit weary on the simulation results that i am getting.

another thing, for a cmos rf LNA design, it would be best for me to implement a 4-terminal mosfet device into my design..however, i cant find a 4-terminal nmos (or pmos) model in the orcad library. all of the available models are 3-terminal model devices ( NMOS device with a source-body tied configuration ). What can i do?

HELP!!!! :confused:

Thanks in advance! :)
  2. n9352527

n9352527 AAC Fanatic!

It can simulate the circuit, however the result is most probably not going to be of much use. There are just too many parameters affecting RF design at that frequency to model accurately with SPICE.

You can do your own MOSFET models, with four terminals, or there are many model cards available out there on the internet. Just make sure the parameters are suitable for such a high frequency of operation.
  3. dyrain

dyrain Thread Starter New Member

Hi again. Thanks for the reply!

I'll give another shot on trying to work my design on orcad.

I tried to find the mosfet model cards for RF, but to no avail!:confused:

Would you have any suggestions on where to find them? particularly, a 0.5um mosfet level3 spice model card.

Thanks in advance!
  4. voduychau

voduychau Member

i think Pspice is not good for simulation.It's hard to learn

some part give a wrong result,and some,i can't understand how to simulate it!

i recommend you to try Multisim
  5. n9352527

n9352527 AAC Fanatic!

Unfortunately no. I have plenty of cards at different feature sizes, but none of them are binned for RF at 10GHz. And I doubt it if you could find one that is meaningful enough.