Rewiring a drill motor to have forward/reverse and speed contol

jpickles77

Joined Nov 4, 2015
This is a small servo motor I put on a small Lathe I CNC'd for the Z axis, I replaced the Acme screw with a ball screw.
You could use a small motor and a gearbox, there are quite a few on ebay, cheap.
The motor can just be seen I tucked it back under the Bed end.

View attachment 94270 View attachment 94271
View attachment 94269
Max.
Max are you kidding me?? This whole time I've been getting your help on something you have already done yourself?? Yes this is exactly what I'm doing, what kind of controls did you use? I like this set up allot, please sugguest some links for the components you used . In the meantime here is mine lol

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
The one I did was for CNC conversion, if this is what you are doing then you need a servo motor (or stepper) with a suitable controller for either one for interpolated positioning.
I got the Taiwanese made ball screw off ebay the pulleys and belt I got from Misumi, they ship to Canada duty incl.
There are also local bearing suppliers that will supply.
If you just want to traverse the carriage using the acme screw, open loop, then any small DC motor of appropriate size will work, for this you can uses one of the cheap ebay PWM controllers.
You may need a transformer and a bridge rectifier, depending on the motor voltage.
Max.

jpickles77

Joined Nov 4, 2015
The one I did was for CNC conversion, if this is what you are doing then you need a servo motor (or stepper) with a suitable controller for either one for interpolated positioning.
I got the Taiwanese made ball screw off ebay the pulleys and belt I got from Misumi, they ship to Canada duty incl.
There are also local bearing suppliers that will supply.
If you just want to traverse the carriage using the acme screw, open loop, then any small DC motor of appropriate size will work, for this you can uses one of the cheap ebay PWM controllers.
You may need a transformer and a bridge rectifier, depending on the motor voltage.
Max.
Im curious about these gear boxes and motors you are referring to? I really want the most economical set up, thats why i started with the drill motor, dimmer switch and forward reverse. I would like it all to be a clean set up when all is said and done, with a good control panel. I know a gentleman from sweden who converted the exact same lathe as mine into CNC, so I am are of the ball screws etc, but i dont feel i need it, just a good motor with good control, which is where i would ask help from you to point me in the right direction to round up the materials needed. You and Dave have been an amazing help and education for me as I attempt to further my knowledge, so I say thank you once again for all of the great info and direction you have given me. I just love playing around with this stuff and creating with it.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
The cheapest is to Search ebay for DC gear box motor etc you will get multiple hits , you have to figure out the fastest rate you want the carriage to move, IOW the rate of turns/minute of the lead screw.
You can then base this number of revolutions to calculate the maximum gearing of the motor by belt or gearbox etc so that the motor can supply this rpm.
You have to keep in mind that with open loop control, (not CNC), you could run into varying feed rate when load changes, for this reason it may be best to go with the highest gear ratio you can get for a given physical motor size.
The pic in my previous post shows about 2.5:1 reduction.
Max.

jpickles77

Joined Nov 4, 2015
The cheapest is to Search ebay for DC gear box motor etc you will get multiple hits , you have to figure out the fastest rate you want the carriage to move, IOW the rate of turns/minute of the lead screw.
You can then base this number of revolutions to calculate the maximum gearing of the motor by belt or gearbox etc so that the motor can supply this rpm.
You have to keep in mind that with open loop control, (not CNC), you could run into varying feed rate when load changes, for this reason it may be best to go with the highest gear ratio you can get for a given physical motor size.
The pic in my previous post shows about 2.5:1 reduction.
Max.
I hear what your saying...if i dont do it right, and i use the auto feed to make a cut it will perform different under load. I searched some motors like you advised,but the most hits were smaller motors that dont look like they could do the trick but for all i know they are super powerful? Is there any way you could show me which motor you used or suggest a good cheap one?

I dont think i need to worry about the feed rate so much, since my lathe isnt set up to do threading etc, its completely manual. The more you can teach me about different motors the better :) By the way, what is IOW?

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
IOW, In Other Words.
For my CNC version I used Tamagawa Brushless servo motors, but you need specialized drives for these.
Mine has a rating of 200w.
I don't have the torque value in front of me.
But a DC P.M. motor may be your best and cheapest option.
Your lathe looks a little heavier than the one I converted which is a Lathemaster 9" x 36"
Also the friction of a ballscrew is lower than a Acme thread screw.
This one may do it ebay 321900644810 depending on the rpm you need, also being worm drive, it will not back feed when the power is off.
Max.

jpickles77

Joined Nov 4, 2015
IOW, In Other Words.
For my CNC version I used Tamagawa Brushless servo motors, but you need specialized drives for these.
Mine has a rating of 200w.
I don't have the torque value in front of me.
But a DC P.M. motor may be your best and cheapest option.
Your lathe looks a little heavier than the one I converted which is a Lathemaster 9" x 36"
Also the friction of a ballscrew is lower than a Acme thread screw.
This one may do it ebay 321900644810 depending on the rpm you need, also being worm drive, it will not back feed when the power is off.
Max.

Hey those motors are really pricy! Ive hear stepper motors are good for the kind of thing im doing, or CNC? Can those be easily powered and controllled like ive been trying to do with this drill? Looks like im starting at square one! Max i may just have to try and get that motor out of that toy I mentioned and build a gear box for it...that might be a good challenge. I am curious though...if a motor only had 2 wires coming off it, how would you wire it for forward and reverse?

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
There are quite a few DC gear motors on ebay for <$50.00
As I mentioned earlier, you need to calculate or asses what your maximum feed rate is required, based on the pitch of the acme screw.
Two wires usually indicates a DC brushed motor, just reverse the polarity for direction using a DPDT as you show earlier in the thread.
Max.

jpickles77

Joined Nov 4, 2015
As I mentioned earlier, you need to calculate or asses what your maximum feed rate is required, based on the pitch of the acme screw.
Two wires usually indicates a DC brushed motor, just reverse the polarity for direction using a DPDT as you show earlier in the thread.
Max.
Im not even sure how to calculate that, but ill have to play around with it. a 50 dollar motor isnt in my budget so ill have to see what i can do with that i have. Sorry to ask once again but can you show me a better speed control for
Max.

jpickles77

Joined Nov 4, 2015
Im not even sure how to calculate that, but ill have to play around with it. a 50 dollar motor isnt in my budget so ill have to see what i can do with that i have. Sorry to ask once again but can you show me a better speed control for
for my current drill set up...and if i was to go with a different motor (such as the one i told you about that might ripp out out that ride on toy with 2 wire leads, what speed control i could use? I would like find something local so im just wondering what my options are for speed controls? and is there a difference between speed controls for AC and DC motors? if so what is that difference?

jpickles77

Joined Nov 4, 2015
Max here is the assembly from the toy, which might just work well for my power feed! Just wondering though, this would probably hook up to a 12v battery, so I need some help getting it powered :S any suggestions? I have some wall warts?

Attachments

jpickles77

Joined Nov 4, 2015
Max what about an incremental switch? any idea where to get those? i.e. 3 or 4 settings. As it sits this motor and gear box is all I need speed wise, but it would be good to have some different speed settings I suppose. im a little bummed that this motor will work well, its a bit tooo easy lol

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
You have to find the power required for the motor, in order to use a supply/wall wart capable of running it.
The PWM control, either ebay or self built will supply the variable speed.
Max.