Rewiring a drill motor to have forward/reverse and speed contol

jpickles77

Joined Nov 4, 2015
Need some detailed instructions. I took apart an old craftsman drill, and i would like to cut the trigger switch out, and use a 3 way switch more functional for my project, and use a dimmer switch or something to control the speed. What i need help with is re-routing all the wires, since i have lost the original switch that does all of that for me. If someone out there is willing to help me with this step by step id be grateful. I can include photos if that helps, but for now i will describe what have.

power drill dissassembled
a dimmer switch
a switch with on-off-on (to be used for forward reverse i hope?)

there are 4 wires coming from the drill:
1 white (from motor)
1 black (from motor)
1 yellow (come from brushes)
1 red (comes from brushes)

from here i am lost as to what path i need to wire the switches and the dimmer in series. Thanks to anyone willing to help this newbie out.
PS this is so i can make a power feed for my little metal lathe.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
There has been previous posts on this issue, you need to reverse the field wires WRT the armature to reverse the motor.
You need a DPDT switch for reversal preferably with 3 posn (centre off).
The dimmer goes ahead of the switch in the L1 lead.
Max.

Dodgydave

Joined Jun 22, 2012
Connect black to yellow, white to Neutral red to Live, motor will run in one direction,

To reverse direction swap black and white wires,

Put dimmer in series with Live wire.

jpickles77

Joined Nov 4, 2015
There has been previous posts on this issue, you need to reverse the field wires WRT the armature to reverse the motor.
Max.

THANK GOD THERE IS HELP OUT THERE!

Yes Max, i have the 3 way switch (ON-OFF-ON with 6 connections on it with screws) and a dimmer switch ready to go (2 black wires and a ground), I just have no idea how to wire it. I really need someone to walk me through it, make me a diagram etc (asking allot i know) I am by no means educated in electronics or circuits, I know how to do some basic things, but this is beyond me and I don't want to make any mistakes. I already have some confusion around your reply, I'm not sure about some of the common terms your using.

Dodgydave

Joined Jun 22, 2012
THANK GOD THERE IS HELP OUT THERE!

Yes Max, i have the 3 way switch (ON-OFF-ON with 6 connections on it with screws) and a dimmer switch ready to go (2 black wires and a ground), I just have no idea how to wire it. I really need someone to walk me through it, make me a diagram etc (asking allot i know) I am by no means educated in electronics or circuits, I know how to do some basic things, but this is beyond me and I don't want to make any mistakes. I already have some confusion around your reply, I'm not sure about some of the common terms your using.

Can you not read post#3??

jpickles77

Joined Nov 4, 2015
Sorry Dave i do see it now, i missed it. Ok Ok this is awesome thank you but! I knew i had to group the 4 wires from the drill somehow but wasnt sure....but i just need some clarification about you saying "swap them"? Can i not wire this to the 3 way switch so i can toggle between forward and reverse? Sorry if im missing something, I am really new at this.

Dodgydave

Joined Jun 22, 2012
Ok then black plug to red motor, white plug to white motor.

Wire the dimmer in series with the black plug lead.

DSC_0042.JPG

Last edited:

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
Here is a rough pic I forgot the wire colours I can put them in but all you have to do is separate the field and the armature, also I roughed in the Triac controller as i assumed you were using an off the shelf one, if not then a circuit is required for that.
2 & 5 are the centre contact for each side.
Max.

Attachments

jpickles77

Joined Nov 4, 2015
Max.[

View attachment 94042

View attachment 94042[/QUOT

what are you guys referring to when you use the word "field" and I see im wiring the white wire from the plug to the black wire coming from the drill motor? then split that and wire it to the switch?

jpickles77

Joined Nov 4, 2015
sorry guys but i I just need to double check something. coming off my motor there is white and black, then off the brushes (Is that armature? there is yellow and red...so am I doing a gang?, black to red and yellow to white then wire it to the switch? im so sorry I see you both made a diagram and that should be enough but It seems like something is missing. Thank you for your patience and efforts seriously.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
You need to identify the two individual pairs, when you say 'motor' does that mean the field winding?
There is two separate circuits in the motor, a pair for the field and a pair for the armature (brushes).
By white and black, it sounds like that was the power pair in, if so, this is not the pair we are talking about.
Max.

jpickles77

Joined Nov 4, 2015
IMG_0912.JPG IMG_0912.JPG View attachment 94058

Here is the mess
You need to identify the two individual pairs, when you say 'motor' does that mean the field winding?
There is two separate circuits in the motor, a pair for the field and a pair for the armature (brushes).
By white and black, it sounds like that was the power pair in, if so, this is not the pair we are talking about.
Max.
Yes max, the black and white come from the winding, and the red and yellow are coming from the armature. Did you see the picture I posted? Im hoping it gives you a clearer view of what i have and what im trying to do. if you look close you will see what is coming from the drill, and you will notice that i have all RED wire leads coming from the drill, i had to extend the wiring and thats the only colour i had, and dont have a ton of money to colour code each ;p Hopefully you can guide me around this better now, thanks again for your help.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
Then the colours conform to the DWG so you should be able to follow this to hook them up as per the previous posts.
The four wires appear to conform to your description, you can always check the continuity of each with a meter if you have one.
I showed 3 wires on the dimmer as some come this way, if yours has two, then ignore the blue line in my sketch.
Max.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
A word of caution, I see the dimmer you have is the lighting variety type, depending on what size of triac they are using, I would make sure you always use the dimmer switch to turn it off and not the DPDT switch as you can inadvertently power on without the motor being set for zero rpm, universal motor are very high torque (current) at switch on if at full or near full voltage.
Max.

jpickles77

Joined Nov 4, 2015
A word of caution, I see the dimmer you have is the lighting variety type, depending on what size of triac they are using, I would make sure you always use the dimmer switch to turn it off and not the DPDT switch as you can inadvertently power on without the motor being set for zero rpm, universal motor are very high torque (current) at switch on if at full or near full voltage.
Max.
That is a really good point. I thought about that briefly but my head was still on the wiring lol. I am going to give this a go tonight, and if it works i will be so relieved. I put as much thought as i could, and
Then the colours conform to the DWG so you should be able to follow this to hook them up as per the previous posts.
The four wires appear to conform to your description, you can always check the continuity of each with a meter if you have one.
I showed 3 wires on the dimmer as some come this way, if yours has two, then ignore the blue line in my sketch.
Max.
a decent amount of money out to get this right so I really appreciate you and the Dave taking time out of your day to help me get this right.

Max the Dimmer has a ground on it, so from what ive read i just ground that wire? You mentioned earlier that your sketch didnt include colour, but now that ive showed you the setup, could i humbly ask for you to add show the colours?