rewinding a motor

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by hummina shadeeba, Jun 22, 2014.

1. hummina shadeeba

Thread Starter New Member

Jun 22, 2014
    I got a tacon 160 electric plane motor. its got 245kv and I'd like to rewind it if that would possibly to get it to have a lower kv and more torque.
    I want to put a lot of resistance on it from a standstill and not...burn it out?

2. Alec_t

AAC Fanatic!

Sep 17, 2013
    A quick google found this:
    "The word turns stands for the amount of wire windings around each of the motor's rotor poles. The higher the number of wirings/turns means less top speed, but higher acceleration/torque."
    Hence you'll need to find some enamelled wire of smaller diameter than the present wire so that you can squeeze more turns into the winding space.

3. THE_RB

AAC Fanatic!

Feb 11, 2008
    Gearing? Might be the best option.

4. MaxHeadRoom

Expert

Jul 18, 2013
    For RC, high RPM is usually required.
    The Motors are relatively cheap?
    Max.

5. Experimentonomen

Feb 16, 2011
    Its certainly doable.

I rewound this motor that i got dead and shorted on ebay:
    http://imgur.com/a/uTCNU

When i got it the shaft was stiff as syrup and all of the windings shorted and melted, took a hacksaw to get the original windings off.

6. THE_RB

AAC Fanatic!

Feb 11, 2008
    Yeah good point.

But then rewinding it to give lower RPM and more torque is basically the same effect as gearing. Gearing might be the easier option. Or buying a different motor. ;)

7. MaxHeadRoom

Expert

Jul 18, 2013
  8. hummina shadeeba

Thread Starter New Member

Jun 22, 2014
    Thanks. Looking for the lowest kv motor I can find instead of rewinding. And them more winds might not fit avoiding the gearing route if I can