Reviving the Electric Self-Starter for Our Hybrid

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by madeintaiwan, Mar 20, 2012.

1. madeintaiwan

Thread Starter New Member

Mar 16, 2010

I've got an old, cheapish diesel generator that is pull start. I'd like to make it electric start as it is destined to replace a large BMC 2.2 diesel in our boat and will therefore not be in pull range. After reading and reading I came across this post

"If you know a guy who can do motor controls, all you need is a 12v battery and a couple inexpensive relays and a little time and you can turn the AC motor into a DC Shunt motor if there is access to the Terminal Tap Can. This is how most old generators were started. It turns the Electric Generator into a motor temporarily and switches back to a generator after the motor is started. It is an easy install within the hour."

That was here:

I've emailed the poster for diagrams or further information with no reply. I've been doing a little digging into the original 'self-start motor' the predated the modern starter motor and it seems that on the outset I could use my electric motor to turn over my diesel.

Is this possible and does anyone know about a wiring an 'AC motor into a DC Shunt Motor'? I'd appreciate the help.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2012
  2. Bernard

AAC Fanatic!

Aug 7, 2008
    Most DC generators make good motors, but alas- most " generators" are now alternators which are dificult to convert to motors??
  3. debe

Sep 21, 2010
    Hunt around for a Bosch Dynastart, they are a generator startermotor & belt drive. Commonly found on older Volvo diesels in boats single & twincylinder.
  4. madeintaiwan

Mar 16, 2010
    Thanks Daryl,

Belt driven dynamo/starter is what I'm looking for then. Looks like there a many for golf carts and the like, dynastarter, etc. So then I'm looking at putting a pulley on/near the flywheel and fabricating a mount for this... Don't know what would be better as a replacement geared flywheel and starter/solenoid are available...
  5. madeintaiwan

Mar 16, 2010
    Ahhh. What it looks like is a BAS or BSG, looks like GM and others are including it on some newer vehicles. Guess its now a question of the type of motor, PM, Shunt, I imagine something continuous duty that outputs a manageable voltage at whatever RPM the diesel operates at, 3000 i think.